Here's some recordings from my 388

Carbona

Hey guys, just wanted to post some stuff I did recently, I wouldn't have even been able to load the tape properly if it wasn't for the extremely helpful folks on this board :)

Mixes are still rough, but intentionally dirty. It's some late 70's inspired punk/powerpop, all girls with a guy drummer, good friends of mine from NYC.

I tracked it all seperately, used sm58's with the windscreen taken off for the guitars, bass, snare, kick and toms, and an MXL 991 for the overhead, tamborine, hand claps and vocals. Mixed down on a delta 1010lt with adobe audition.

Download On A Friday

Feel free to pick them apart :D

They may sound god awful, I don't have any monitors yet.

Awful ?? Are you nuts!?!?! I don't think so! These have the makings of a pro sound! Yet another example of what can be accomplished with the under rated (by some) TASCAM 388.

Listenning with the FOSTEX RP T20 cans and I'm surprised how solid the drums sound.

Btw, you didn't use dbx noise reduction on the 2 cuts, did you ? I can hear a bit of hiss but I'm just being anal now and it really doesn't detract from the recordings in any way. Well done, really. :)

~Daniel

Carbona: Any chance of letting us know the outboard gear and techniques used for the 2 cuts ? Everything "sits" in the mix so very nicely.

Thanks for the great replies everyone.

Cjacek, nope no noise-reduction used, I tried to use it once on my old tascam 238 and it just really sounded completely dull and lifeless, so from that moment on I pretty much just wrote off noise reduction. I may change my mind as I learn more about certain things, but everything I record and the bands I play in are naturally loud and benefit from dirtier sounding production anyway :)

As far as outboard gear goes, I used a mackie mixer that I borrowed from a friend to mix the 2 toms and overhead down to one track, everything else was pretty much straight in to the 388. Once I dumped everything off the tape, I digitally recorded a few guitar punch-ins and backup vocals, and then hand claps and tamborine. I really need a 16 track, most of the stuff I've been doing lately has really needed well over 12 tracks.

I love my 388, but I'd also like to get a 16 track that uses 1/2" tape so I could keep the track width the same. Anybody recommend a good one?

Back