Here's my music style, what tools should I look into?

NewbMediaGuy

It's been a while since I've been checking up on this site, kinda funny but I finally get my basic, (oh so very basic), studio up, and I'm not even using it. Right now the only program I have is Project 5, and I really don't like it because it sounds too artificial. Perhaps I haven't used it enough to get something out of it I would appreciate, but I never really expected it to do that either.

I like hard rock, I grew up with Nine Inch Nails, I love the sound of guitar mixed with grungy synth sounds. Aside from the sexual lyrical content in Lords of Acid albums, I've been turned on by the musical aspect as well. One of my favorite albums, by one of my favorite heavy metal artists, was the remixed album titled: Rob Zombie - American Made Music to Strip By.

My first foray into making music was using one of the cheaper Acid programs, I think 2.0. I didn't do much, basically just took some loops, cut them up and re-arranged them so it sounded completely unique. It was fun, but honestly I was frustrated at not being able to get the exact sound I wanted. I was stuck with the loops I had, and I really don't like using loops, I'd rather be able to create my own content, which is why I thought Project 5 would be a lot of fun for me. I thought Project 5 would be similar enough to the Acid design so that I would be able to start it right away and have some fun, but it seems completely different and I feel lost when using it.

I almost think I should get a newer version of Acid to tinker around with, but I don't know how well Acid is for creating unique and custom sounds.

I am a complete newb, so feel free to give me any advice or opinions on what you think I should take a look at as far as equipment or software. I bought a MIDI controller keyboard with Project 5, but because I'm stuck as to what I should be doing, it's just collecting dust...it's an Evolution MK-461c if your interested.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Are you talking about making original looped music, or do you play an instrument?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that if you want original music, you have to make it, not loop it off what someone else has done. I know that some have made some good songs doing that, but for me, it lacks something.

So do you play, or are you just looking to loop something more realistic?
I can help you with the former. I don't know much about making loops.

Please let me know your thoughts!
I like that kind of stuff too, and since Reason 3.0 has just been released I bet you could find a discounted copy of Reason 2.5 lying around on the shelves of some on-line music store.

If you've ever used a musical rack Reason will be instantly familiar. If you've never used a musical rack (synths, drum machine, sequencer and mixer) it'll take half an hour or so to get acquainted with the ins, outs and thru's, but no more than that.

I've had my copy for two years now, and I keep finding new things and new sounds every time I boot it up. There are EXCELLENT distortion rack boxes called 'Scream 4' and a Redrum drum computer that can be loaded with your own .wav files --- or you can use the hundreds of drum kits that come with it...

You already have the controller keyboard, so all you need is this midi interface.

I don't play an instrument, but I've been thinking of getting a guitar to create some short riffs. I don't need any big long solos though, but it'd be fun to learn.

I guess what I'm asking is how do people like Crystal Method, or Paul Oakenfold go about making their music? I like their stuff, but personally prefer more hard rock to it. I've messed around with a demo version of Reason, but because I've never worked with a rack it was a bit intimidating. I wouldn't mind trying to learn something like that, but I'm just not sure if that program will give me the sounds I'm looking for. While on the subject, how do you get good drum sounds? I'd prefer the more realistic sounding drums than those whimpy techno sounding drums, so I'm guessing I could use loops for that, but I dunno.

Also, why would I need that Midi adapter thing? the keyboard is USB and works fine on Project 5, so I don't see why I'd need one.

The best way to do most of what you want to do is hire musicians or become a musician. If you are trying to do a hard rock thing, you need real musicians. There might be loops out there in that vein but you won't be creating it, you will be copy and pasting it.

I'm having an old man moment... Back in my day, if we wanted to make music we had to learn to play instruments. Then we had to find other people that played other instruments and form what we called a band....

I'm sorry for that.

Last edited:
NewbMediaGuy said:
I guess what I'm asking is how do people like Crystal Method, or Paul Oakenfold go about making their music?
They can play instruments. It's the rare individual who cracks the wall of rawk with no help from an instrument. If you had put that in your first post I would have replied altogether differently.

Farview said:
The best way to do most of what you want to do is hire musicians or become a musician. If you are trying to do a hard rock thing, you need real musicians. There might be loops out there in that vein but you won't be creating it, you will be copy and pasting it.

I'm having an old man moment... Back in my day, if we wanted to make music we had to learn to play instruments. Then we had to find other people that played other instruments and for what we called a band....

I'm sorry for that.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back