here's my first beat

RygarOmnis said:
That's too much like the Rza's beat.

i only see one relation, the first three hits of the melody. i didn't use any bongos, or 808 drums. ahh, we all have our opinions.

thanks for the good & blunt criticism, up!

btw, jake-owa, i guess this is suppose to beat a hip-hop beat.

i like that beat...nice groove to it...it still can have a hip-hop flow to it...i can become a hit...thats my 2cents

i liked everything but the timbre

something about the sound texture sort of bugged me,
like the beat was a demo song for a new keyboard or something.

i think it needs another dimension to it... maybe something off a turntable, or from a lo-fi drum machine (linn drum or drumulator equivalent). or maybe a sense of space created with some delay and reverb... or some distortion/overdrive on one of the elements...

its all upfront in my face.

the writing is good.

Re: i liked everything but the timbre

eeldip said:
something about the sound texture sort of bugged me,
like the beat was a demo song for a new keyboard or something.

yea.. i have a problem with the sounds too.. it's hard to explain... the sound texture is kinda mushed... you need to open up some filters probably and maybe try some other sounds... the piano doesn't mix well with the rest of the sounds...
other than that, i've heard the melody many times in my life... nothing wrong with that... it's a classic composition and leaves alot open to mess with...
the bass is very nice and compliments the drums very well, but you might wanna punctuate it a bit more, to lead the beat onwards...
overall not bad... not my kind of music, but definitely commercially viable, once the sounds are polished...

i like the bass part, but not the bass sound... you can buy gear, but you can't buy talent so that's fine.

i like the piano part, but i don't like the delayed stereo spread. you've got the beat-n-bass down the middle with the shaker sounds alternating left-of-center and right-of-center and the static-synth sound to the left. if you got rid of that delay spread on the piano and panned it to the right a bit, i think it would mesh better. especially since you bring in that horn synth sound and play the same melody as the piano. if you have the piano to the right, and the horn sound to the left with the synth sound playing between that spectrum it would sound more syncopated.

Back