Here's my first attempt....

Well i listened to Arrival.

First it was short (1:17), is this finished? It sounds polished, i liked the sound of your electric guits and the arrangement gave me feelings of Floyd somewhat if they had more modern sounding amps.

I don't like the drums. The snare sounds like it's hitting at the wrong times. Maybe thats just me. There should be a snare hit intbetween that huge silence, and maybe some kick drum. Then again that is just a opinion thing, others might like it like that. The guitar does sound good.

deemic

I listened to Arrival.

The drums have got to go. In plain english, they suck.

The guitar work was fine. Good tone and playing skills were exhibited. The keyboard work was also done well and blended with the other parts nicely.

Cheers! :)

Cresendo

I liked the guitar work in this one!

It kind of reminded me of Prince and Pink Floyd in the feel.

The drums, sadly, are still the weakest link here.

Perhaps just use a straight pattern and cut it in and out or, make friends with a drummer and lure him over with promises of wild women, drugs and fame!

Cheers! :)

listened to first one.......

Nice guitars.................sounds like this could be a great intro.

Drums gotta go. And drop the "one, two, three" at :51 and 1:08. :)

Thanks everyone....... I appreciate the feedback.

so the general consensus is that the midi drums gotta go?

Does anyone know where to get some more realistic sounding drums than what I've found in Sonar?

I agree, they sound kinda cheesy:rolleyes:

deemic said:
Thanks everyone....... I appreciate the feedback.

so the general consensus is that the midi drums gotta go?

Does anyone know where to get some more realistic sounding drums than what I've found in Sonar?

I agree, they sound kinda cheesy:rolleyes:

It's not even the sound of the drums that bother me.
It's the way they are programmed. It sounds sounds bad where the snare hits, or lack of them are. Same with the kick drum.

strat0tele said:
It's not even the sound of the drums that bother me.
It's the way they are programmed. It sounds sounds bad where the snare hits, or lack of them are. Same with the kick drum.

I know what you mean, I didn't care for it much at first, but it was better than the other ones I came up with.
The off timing was somewhat intentional to provide "tension" I didn't want it to flow in a standard timing. But , I guess if I were to rerecord it, I'd probably try something a little more 4/4 as far a the drum tracks are concerned.

Hey Cyan, thanks man. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback!

These pieces have "buildup" but no "release". It's like they are intros to songs, as opposed to songs.

The drums did flat suck. It's not so much how they sound, it just sounds like whoever was playing them needs to learn how to play the drums a little better.

The guitar sound was good though.

Pink Floyd uses those prolonged intros too, but eventually the song starts, you know what I'm saying?

Cheers

Ben

Looks like I'll have too work on my midi drumming skills:D

oh well..... I'm having fun. Thanks again guys, look forward to learning a thing or two from you all......

peace:cool:

Sound good, not songs though. A song needs to have a start and a finish.

I am just left wanting more...

.. but it never comes

recording is very good. the drums don`t sound bad. I like the bluejay maple`s that come in the sonar samples. for a piece like this I`d hit the snare on 2 in every other measure and let it be big as a house.. The kick sounds ok. You can put some "slip" in the drums using "groove quantize" in Sonar. Giutar sound is cool.

Back