Here's How I’m Going To Write 10x More Music This Year

....all you have to do is just send a simple Tweet out or post up a YouTube video and your fans will spread the word like a viral cupcake.

:laughings:

I was trying to think of a sexy way to end this....

No need....you already jerked off a lot in your post.

Guess he felt like he had something to say and we were the lucky few to read about it.:confused:

He said it and then never came back....we sure are lucky! :D

I don't know, I just don't buy that writing more means you get better. I'm sure that if someone writes 10x more songs there might be something good to come out of it. But isn't that simply a result of volume as opposed to actual improvement? I look at it sort of like playing golf. I can go to a driving range and hit 100 balls. Some of those shots might be very good. Does that mean I suddenly got better, or was it just because I was bound to hit a few good ones eventually? I won't consistently get better without some kind of correction. But with songwriting, where does the correction come from? That's up to the writer I guess. The OP suggests you post up rough recordings and solicit opinions. I guess that's one way if you really care what others think, as most songwriters do, but is that making you a better writer, or just better at appealing to masses? This is where I take issue with people proclaiming that songwriting has to have rules and regulations and some songs are good and some are bad. It all depends on your end goal. If sales and mass appeal are your end game, then you're gonna have to write something that appeases the masses. That means you will have to consider their opinions over your own. That means you might have sacrifice a little of yourself to reach your goal. For some people that's simply not acceptable and they go their own way, staying true to themselves but never really getting anywhere. And for a very select few, they win both ways. So yeah, maybe the OP has a point. Just write a bunch of shit, churn that shit out, throw it at the wall, and see what sticks. One of those pieces of shit is bound to stick like I'm bound to eventually hit one good golf shot.

For me personally, I'd rather take my time and write songs that I'm 100% happy with. Quality over quantity. Until someone that I feel is better than me tells me otherwise, I'm staying the course.

Yeah thanks, that's pretty much what I've always thought but in a documentary by this website BBC - Blogs - BBC Introducing - Raising funding for your music One of the producers was saying that many songwriters will tell you their hits came as luck, therefore writing more material is like buying more lottery tickets. His advice was to lower your standards and see where a song goes before giving up. It made some sense to me.

Yeah thanks, that's pretty much what I've always thought but in a documentary by this website BBC - Blogs - BBC Introducing - Raising funding for your music One of the producers was saying that many songwriters will tell you their hits came as luck, therefore writing more material is like buying more lottery tickets. His advice was to lower your standards and see where a song goes before giving up. It made some sense to me.

The first hit may be luck, you gotta get lucky to get famous, you gotta get lucky to get noticed, it wasnt the song that was luck, it was them having a chance to showcase it to the world which was luck, and alot of hard work, wont deny that.

Your second hit, third hit, fourth, no longer luck, that's consistency, and knowing what you are doing. Ever notice how often an artists debut album is better than anything that follows? They cant write the songs they wrote for that album over and over again.

And follow up hits very often stem from the original stroke of luck. If you luck out and get a hit, those fans you accumulate will probably buy whatever you put out next. But we're talking about stuff that's way high up the success ladder. Pretty much no one at this site will ever be there.

The first hit may be luck, you gotta get lucky to get famous, you gotta get lucky to get noticed, it wasnt the song that was luck, it was them having a chance to showcase it to the world which was luck, and alot of hard work, wont deny that.

Your second hit, third hit, fourth, no longer luck, that's consistency, and knowing what you are doing. Ever notice how often an artists debut album is better than anything that follows? They cant write the songs they wrote for that album over and over again.

Or they cant get lucky twice. Or don't know how.

There's some truth in that. Also many bands lose their hunger and edge when they get successful.

And follow up hits very often stem from the original stroke of luck. If you luck out and get a hit, those fans you accumulate will probably buy whatever you put out next. But we're talking about stuff that's way high up the success ladder. Pretty much no one at this site will ever be there.

Lol, its nice to dream....

I disagree there, today anyone can get noticed, you need an amazing song that will grab strangers in mass, and people are doing it. Its all about what comes out of the speakers and that's it.

I disagree there, today anyone can get noticed, you need an amazing song that will grab strangers in mass, and people are doing it. Its all about what comes out of the speakers and that's it.

oh really? are you noticed? The bigger the internet gets, the smaller you get.

And you dont have record company dollars supporting you, you can't afford publicity

And you dont have record company dollars supporting you, you can't afford publicity

Lil barry here has had a rare moment of clarity and common sense. Nice one, barry bear. Well said.

Sure dream away. I hope you get there. But don't let it bother you if you don't.

I do this purely for fun, I'm not deluded, I realize the odds of getting a hit song are 1 in the millions.

Publicity is free, anyone can record and distribute material.

Sure dream away. I hope you get there. But don't let it bother you if you don't.

Right.

I use the "dream" to fuel the desires and the motivation....but my actual expectations are much more realistic.
I decided a long time ago that regarldess of what I "acheived"....I would keep on making music and recording until one day get too old to sling a guitar around my neck....and then I'll do like B.B. King, and break out a chair! :D

Back