Heres a nice newbie question

A7X

Ok so recording in stereo!! Whenever I record, I record everything in mono except the highs on the drums. My question is would it be a good idea to record the guitars and vocals in stero. For the guitar stick a sm57 in front with a condensor behind, then split the stereo into to the speakers? For vocals do the samething but only with a condensor.

Thanks

Just because you are using 2 mics does not mean you are recording in stereo.
For cabs, I often record with an SM7 and/or a C2000B in front, and an AKG D112
in the back of an open cab. It is usually a good idea to reverse the phase on the
D112. Hard panning of this arrangement will not produce a stereo image, unless you are an Andorian, with your ears on antennae. Then you could put one ear in front of the cab and one behind it. I blend the sound of the front and back mics, but in the end, it is 2 or 3 channel mono.
Stereo recording involves an attempt to create a model of what you would have heard if you had been in the room, using 2 or more mics. This doesn't mean that all stereo mic'ing is binaural. In spaced stereo mic'ing, the mics may be 10 feet apart, even though your ears could never be. It will be necessary to play around with the panning to generate a believable stereo image. But just because 2 mics don't necessarily produce a stereo image doesn't mean they don't sound good. Stereo recording is just one way to use 2 mics, not the best way or the only way.-Richie

Good points above.

I record my amps with a dynamic (Senny e609) and a condesner (usually the Rode K2), and blend the signal, because each mic brings its own sound to the mix. When blended together, they give me the tone I want. But it isn't stereo - there is still technically only one sound source being recorded. Panning those mics hard L & R will defintiely make an interesting sound, but you will still be hearing the same source in each ear.

Now, if I had some sort of stereo guitar effect goin on, and I direct-inputted it into my recorded on two different channels, THAT would be stereo - for example, an effect that bounces the guitar signal back and forth between hard L & R at some given interval (very basic stereo example).

Or, if I were to record my drumset, and I set each tom mic to a point in the stereo field where, when I play a run down the toms, it sounds like they are moving from one ear over to the other - that would be an example of stereo.

Just a couple examples I thought might help discern the difference :)

Back