Here is my planned home studio setup...

BBlack

I've recently started a musical project with a friend of mine, and now have the need to record. Over the past few years, I've read lots of internet articles and have accumulated a fair amount of knowledge. I've had a bit of practice recording different things, but I'm still only an amateur. Acoustic guitars are the main instrument on most of the songs, but there is consistently occasional use of electric guitars, bass, and drums. And, just a bit of vocals. It's a little on the experimental side...
Right now, we are recording a "rough draft" of the album we're planning on putting together. I'm using Logic Pro on my Macbook Pro with a Presonus FirePod interface, a couple of Samson C02 condensers, SM57s, and an AKG D112.

BUT, when we are done with the rough copy, I plan to invest in some better gear in order to get the best sound on a budget for the recording and mixing of the final product. There are three things I need: A new interface, some monitors, and some new condensers. For the interface, I plan on getting an Apogee Duet. For monitors, I'm sort of thinking about Behringer Truths. And for the condensers (mainly used for acoustic guitar, but also cymbals), I'm stuck between Octava MK012 or Shure SM81. I will probably be recording mainly in a small, carpeted bedroom, but will have access to large spaces with hard walls and floors. And it will all be in Logic.

Keep my lack of experience in mind. My budget is somewhat small, but I'm willing to go a ways for good sound. Not sure if something like the AT4040 might be something beneficial to add to the collection along with the stereo condensers... Also, I have no experience in mixing, but, and this goes for recording, too, I know a guy who is quite experienced in it all, and I will be able to draw advice from him.

Just any general help would be appreciated. Which item should I spend the most money on?

You have some decent gear, why do you think you need a new interface? The firepod has 8 in's, the duet only has 2. You mentioned drums, that's gonna be tough with a duet... Plus, if you have little experience actually tracking and mixing, a firepod is NOT gonna be the weak link. I'd stick with the firepod, and spend that $$ on some decent monitors, a couple new mic's and some room treatment if you have none. Use what you got, upgrade when you can identify a particular piece of gear that's holding you back.

When I said drums, I didn't really mean a whole kit. Just single toms and such.

Will the Duet be a big improvement over the Firepod? Because that's what I'm expecting, to a certain degree. If you all don't think it's necessary, than that would save me a fair bit of cash. I might even sell the 'pod and get a Firestudio Mobile. I really don't need all those inputs for this project.

Back