Hendrix - Hey Joe question

famous beagle

I'm curious. How many of you hear the first note (the open E string and the grace note from D to E on string 2) as a slide, and how many think it's a hammer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAMM2Wg3DW8

There's video evidence of him doing it both ways live, so I'm just curious as to what y'all hear on the original recording.

Thanks!

It's a legato dimished 5th arpeggiated sustain 4th with a flattened Q# fretted his ring finger on a tuesday afternoon in the spring. Maybe early summer. .

At the risk of being boring and actually answering the question, I think it's a slide. Saying that, I learned it as a slide when I was a kid and I probably haven't played it in over ten years and heard it in more than 5. I bet I can still remember it though

It's definitely mixolydian though.

Actually Greg, you're basically right. :) Forgiving the brief open G string pull-off, which is quickly resolved to the major 3rd, G#, taken together the first phrase suggests E Mixolydian all the way.

lol
I wish you would teach me. it's all Greek to me.

Come on dude, you're a 1000 year old classic rock guitar hero that's been playing the hits longer than I've been alive. You don't need lessons from a powerchording punk rock guitar hack like me.

Come on dude, you're a 1000 year old classic rock guitar hero that's been playing the hits longer than I've been alive. You don't need lessons from a powerchording punk rock guitar hack like me.

I need lessons on the jargon.
"blues scale", " country scale", and "the scale you use when playing a song with minor chords".

that covers my entire musical vocabulary.

Would this be a good start?

scale24

Guitar scales made easy.

Songmaven-Guitar-Scales-Modes-Notes.jpg

Then staccato/legato simply means how you play the note (short duration-each note sharply detached from the others/held out--each note flowing into the next) as opposed to the normal playing of the note.
Tempo (in order from slowest) = grave (gra-vay), Largo, Larghetto, Lentando, Lento, Adagio, Adagietto, Andante, Moderato, Allegreto, Largamente, Mosso, Allegro, Presto, Prestissimo...I may have missed or misspelled a few, but these are mostly useless if you just use BPM. Then you can slow down: Ritardando (usually down a few BPM) or Rallentando (a continual drop in speed) or you can increase: Accelerando and Afrettando and then come back to the original pace--A Tempo.
Crescendo and Decrescendo make music louder and quieter. And all the loudness from Pianissimo to Fortissimo and if you just want one note smacked as hard as possible, you would use a Sforzando! or if just accented above the rest, a Marcato. I'm sure you already understand the concept of wavering in volume on a note or chord (Tremolo).
There are other terms for voice and for strings. But we'll save all that for another time. :)

I don't think that picture is complete. I don't see the "Total shredz melt your face off" scale listed. Please correct.

I don't think that picture is complete. I don't see the "Total shredz melt your face off" scale listed. Please correct.

Nope, just the diatonic ones. Doesn't include pentatonic ones either (based on playing just the black keys) or chromatic (which would just be every note). The Total Shredz melt your facqe off" (you missed the silent Q) scale cannot accurately be portrayed just on a guitar neck as it involves things beyond and above the neck as well as variables such as dive bars and e-bows.

Back