Hendrix Cover

Don Tonberry

Hey, I just recorded this in a couple of hours for my friend. I produced everything and he performed the song. I would like some criticism on the mixing and mastering. I don't think it's very good but any help will make me better

It's OK. What instruments are real? Are the drums? I think more feeling should go into the vox. The guitar is pretty low in the mix.

Wow! That is the "whitest" Hendrix cover I've ever heard. The guitar is good, for as much as I know about what a good guitar track is. The drum machine is what it is, a drum machine. The vocals are on key, but so emotionless and vanilla, that the last song this guys should be singing is "Manic Depression".

As far as mix, etc...the levels are good.

Last edited:
I think the drums sound pretty cool, maybe a little wet. Good guitar tone, but the little lead guitar parts are kinda boring... The production sounds good.

Ewww, drum machine just don't work with Mitchell's work. There isn't any....well, manic-ness to it. But its the best you have to work with, so that's alright.

Yeah, the vocals sound like a typical smooth American Idol-esque singer. Vanilla as Rami said.

The guitar solo was pretty good though.

Hmmm...what I miss here is the animal raweness of a Hendrix performance. Solo isn't bad, but the voice is totally harmless, considering this was one of Jimi's heaviest songs. This should hit me in the gut, but it's too subdued.

What the guitar player lacks in raw guts is forgiven by the use of the "Dazed and Confused" quote at the end.

He's listening to some very good stuff. :)

Heard this the other night and again just now...the drums...hmmm.

Now, if I had to use, say, a drum machine for this tune, I don't know that I could have set it up this close to the original, but I wouldn't have even tried. Having said that, the sounds themselves just don't blend well with this tune. MM was a wild man and if you had to go mechanized with percussion, I wouldn't have tried to mimic him.

Anyway, I really liked the guitar playing and the tone too in some ways although it seemed way dry.

Vocals struck me as much too deliberate although technically well done. Cool tune to cover...

Back