Helplessly Hoping

Rockerbob

I worked on this a few weeks ago and a friend wanted to add bass. I have 2 new mixes, one with a bass starting at the first chorus, and another without the bass. My first thought was to copy the original and just have acoustic guitar and voices. I'm not sure if the bass really enhances the recording, but I might be to close to the project to tell. If you have time please listen and tell me if you the mix with bass or the mix without bass. Remember, the bass doesn't start until the first chorus, about halfway through the tune.

With Bass:

Without Bass:

Thanks!

firstly...

i love the sound of the guitar.

i hate the vocals. its not out of tune, i guess i just really hate your voice. (sorry!)

back to your question...

the bass line fits i think, in fact i like it. however, i reckon it's not really fitting into the mix very well. it's too quiet, too rumbley, not clear enough i think, maybe make a few EQ changes i think, have you compressed it? i think that would help.

Thanks for the comments. I also hate my voice, but I haven't found anyone better who sings in tune. I hate out of tune more than I hate my voice.

I don't think I like the bass part. I prefer the song just with the guitar and vocals, similar to the original, but I want other opinions. As I said, I'm too close to know if I'm objective. Since I did all the other parts, perhaps I don't like the bass because it's not me.

I did compress the sh*t out of the bass and added the lower rumble to try to improve it. I thought it fought with the guitar part when it had more definition, so I tried to smooth it out.

Thanks again!

Back