Helpful recording books

I record onto a harddrive............... :D

I can sense a "do a search" coming on this ere thread

I forget who publishes, but its called Modern Recording Techniques. Very specific, in depth, and easy to follow.

make sure that whatever book you get is published within the last 3 or 4 years at most. The newer the better. You can often find recording books at half price books or some other store, but some of them are from the mid 90s or even older.

djhead said:
I forget who publishes, but its called Modern Recording Techniques. Very specific, in depth, and easy to follow.
It's by Huber & Runstein and published by Focal Press.

There is also the entire "Handbook" series by Bobby Owsinski that is very good. Not to mention a couple of "for Dummies" books on home recording, PC Recording and Recording for Musicians that are pretty good for rookies who aren't necessarily dummies.

And - here ya go Slidey - a simple search on Amazon.com for "music recording", "home recording", and/or "recording studio" will uncover a page or three filled with all these books and more.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
published by Focal Press.

focal press publish some pretty boss books.

also check "Behind the Glass" by Howard Massey. it's a bunch of in-depth, technical interviews with a bunch of world-class engineers and producers.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
And - here ya go Slidey - a simple search on Amazon.com for "music recording", "home recording", and/or "recording studio" will uncover a page or three filled with all these books and more.

G.

hahaha I'd take a look but I've got a lot to do between now & the year 2050 :D

Would you be interested in watching a DVD instead of reading a book? If so, you might want to check out "Russ Long's Guide to Nashville Recording" DVD".

This DVD takes you through recording two different songs, part by part, with mic setups, audio chain info, settings, and tons of insight that only a top engineer and great studio musicians can express.

One of the two songs was recorded with over $37,000 worth of mics, preamps, compressors, EQ and other cool goodies (not including the main mixer, monitors, hardware and software) and the other song was recorded with nothing but SM-57's (!) and the preamps in a Mackie 1604, at a value of around $1,700 (not including the master mixer, monitors, hardware and software). Both songs sound GREAT, which REALLY illustrates how important good musicianship and solid recording chops are to create a great-sounding recording, regardless of the equipment used.

The DVD is broken into chapters, so you can move from section to section very easily.

The extra features include a section about tuning drums, as well as details about the RADAR/ProTools recording chain that was used.

The DVD also includes a separate disk that contains the data created during the sessions so that you can load it into your DAW and explore each piece of each song.

It's available through Amazon.com for around $50.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, the DVD sounds tempting! What about websites, any good recording informational sites?

goldie said:
What about websites, any good recording informational sites?

you're on it! pretty much anything that has to do with audio out there is linked to from here. Just follow link after link after link...until you get so lost you can't find your way back!

http://www.digido.com is another good site
aes.org has a ton of stuff

Not a book but a magazine subscription. Any bit of literature would help, right? Go to tapeop.com---- it's free.

I think most good books have been mentioned. Another one I found interesting is "The Art Of Mixing, A Visual Guide To Recording, Engineering, and Production" by David Gibson. The Visual Approach described in there is something completely different.

nessbass said:
I think most good books have been mentioned. Another one I found interesting is "The Art Of Mixing, A Visual Guide To Recording, Engineering, and Production" by David Gibson. The Visual Approach described in there is something completely different.
very good book, read it myself.

nessbass said:
I think most good books have been mentioned. Another one I found interesting is "The Art Of Mixing, A Visual Guide To Recording, Engineering, and Production" by David Gibson. The Visual Approach described in there is something completely different.[/QUOTE}]
I bought it along with Recording Great Audio Tracks In A Small Studio by Bill Gibson(any relation?) comes with a DVD. Another good one.

and for a book that will change your entire mindset...which will help your musicianship,

Please check out "an eternal golden braid" by godel/escher/bach..

thanks me later.

Back