Help

djc

Why so serious?
I was screwing around with my audio settings in Sonar 2.2. I changed my Audiophile 2496 to the ASIO driver. It's telling me that I have about 8.7 latency which is fine, but when I record vocals or guitar I get a little noise like it's clipping. It doesn't seem to be volume related because when I turn down the volume from the mixer into the 2496 and record at a low volume, it still gets noise. I tried changing the number of buffers, but that doesn't seem to do any good. Any suggestions?

After you made the change did you run the wave profiler? You have to run this any time you make soundcard/ driver changes.

mbuster said:
After you made the change did you run the wave profiler? You have to run this any time you make soundcard/ driver changes.

ASIO drivers don't have Wave Profiler... only WDM drives do.

There are two things that you need to look at:

1. Are you using more than one sound card? If so, set the recording and playback master's to the Audiophile. Also, if there is a second card, don't have any mains set up to play through this... causes the problem you described.

2. Try increasing your latency.

Porter

I did run the wave profiler and got a blue screen saying it was dumping the memory or something to that effect. I have a SB Live card in there too, but it is disabled. I may just have to start from scratch again. It seems like a software thing to me. Damn computers!

Make sure you haven't got the SB selected anywhere in Sonar!! If you can run Wave Profiler with ASIO drivers, something is wrong there... make sure it isn't selected ANYWHERE.

Porter

Well, you could do what I do when things aren't going well. I open the case of my computer and piss directly onto as many crucial components as possible. Just make sure to unplug it first.
If this doesn't work, get some needle nosed pliers and pull 6 or 8 capacators and resistors and chips and stuff from the motherboard at random.
If ALL ELSE FAILS, hit your monitor dead center with a tire iron (once again making sure it's unplugged).
Once these steps have been followed PRECISELY, your computer will either be working perfectly, or you'll have a workable excuse to buy a new one.

I think it's software related because I ran the profiler before I changed it to the ASIO driver. And everytime I did I got a blue screen telling me about a memory dump or something. So I disabled the SB Live and left the AP on ASIO. I'll probably have to reload the whole machine at some point.

Porter said:
ASIO drivers don't have Wave Profiler... only WDM drives do.
I'm intrigued Porter!

I take it you are saying that Wave Profiler doesn't operate or isn't necessary when ASIO drivers have been selected.

Why is it so? My HS2002 doesn't support ASIO drivers, so I can't verify the veracity of your statement.

--
BluesMeister

Because Lordy BluesMeister, when you select the ASIO driver and restart SONAR, the wave profiler button will change to ASIO property button. Click on it will open the ASIO property instead of wave profiler :) I don't know, but I'm sure HS2004 (which support ASIO) will be similiar :)

;)
Jaymz

As Jaymz said... basically with WDM Drivers, the wave profiler looks at the card and sets the buffers automatically, hence setting the best possible latency... with ASIO, you set the buffers yourself... hence setting your own latency.

Porter

Porter said:
As Jaymz said... basically with WDM Drivers, the wave profiler looks at the card and sets the buffers automatically, hence setting the best possible latency... with ASIO, you set the buffers yourself... hence setting your own latency.
Yes, but just remember you need to set the buffers in the cards Control Panel before using the Waveprofiler. It took a long time before I figured that out. ;)

I finally had some time to mess around with this and get it working. I increased the DMA Buffer Size in the Delta control panel to 1024 samples and that seemed to fix it. This is using the ASIO driver. But now when I try to track, I hear the original signal plus the latency signal which makes it sound like a quick echo. This probably sounds like a dumb question but how do you listen to one track while recording another without that damn echo?

djc said:
This probably sounds like a dumb question but how do you listen to one track while recording another without that damn echo?
TURN OFF INPUT MONITORING.

Options > Audio > Input Monitoring

I have another question while I'm at it. How do you set up the Delta control panel properly for recording? I want to be able hear an existing audio track/or tracks and the armed track that I'm recording at the same time, but I get leakage from the existing tracks into the armed track when I record. I just don't get that Delta control panel. Maybe I'm not understanding the routing properly. Anyway, how do you all set yours up?

I use hardware monitoring via a Mackie mixer.

Without a mixer, I think you can also do it using the Monitor Mix feature in the Delta Control panel. However, someone else will have to 'splain how to set it up.

I have the AP2496 output going to an old Tascam 106 Mixer that I'm using for an output distribution mixer. That way I can assign the output to a variety of amp/speaker configurations.

Back