HELP!

penfloor95

I have a Tascam 414 MKII, and I use it to record guitar, and my keyboard.
As it is hooked up now, I have the left main out from my keuboard, going into the Left MIC/IN. And the same for the right main out, except going into the right MIC/IN. I have panned them accordingly so I could get a stereo recording, but for some reason, when I play my recording back it's only only on 1 channel. Also there is a lot of distortion when my bass parts come in, which is really frusterating. What can I do?!?

OK,
I'm really upset with this TASCAM 414 thing.
Either I'm screwing up with my inputs, but I just can't get a good stereo recording, the Bass is always distorted. I'm really about to say the heck with this thing and get a Fostex Digital 4-track.
I tried using the 3:00-9:00 position thing with channels 1&2, to no success.
I don't know what to do next?!?!

PEN

Iam really not sure what your doing here.
As to paning to get stereo sound while recording, you should have your channels panned hard left or hard right when recording.

jimimac

Pen,

I've done similar things on my 414 before and it's always been "operator error" - I was just careless about how I set the various switches. If the input switches are both set to either L or R then you'll get the situation you described. You'll only get that channel. If you're using the inputs to send your signal onto the stereo bus then make sure you use L on one track and R on the other track.

The other option would be to plug your cables into the mixer channels and record directly to the corresponding tracks . For example, plug into channels 1 and 2, set track 1 to record from channel 1, and set track 2 to record from channel 2.

Another stupid thing to look for, make sure one of the switches isn't in the "Safe" position. I've done that too. Like I said, my problems usually seem to be my fault.

I hope I explained that well enough. If not, let me know.

[This message has been edited by DaveO (edited 02-28-2000).]

Pen,
I agree with DaveO. Have patience. The 414 for what it is is a very good machine IMHO.
I owned a Yamaha MT44 back in the mid Eighties wich cost me triple the price of the 414 and the Tascam gives me just as good of a quality recording. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles the MT44 had but is a good machine.
I noticed you said you used a metel type tape sometimes in your Tascam. I have had more than one credible source tell me to NEVER use a metallic tape in an analog machine.

What do you mean by "Left Mic/In" and "Right Mic/In?"

Do you mean channels 1 and 2 and you are bussing them? If so, that is your problem.

Plug the left out of your keys to Track1, the right to track 2, and record them direct. Not Bus. Pan them hard left and right and you WILL have a stereo image.

This could also be your problem with the distorted bass. Otherwise, just make sure when you record the bass that the levels only go to the 1st or 2nd red light. And that they don't already SOUND distorted as you record.

Hope I've helped.

I appreciate all the help, but that's what I've been doing hte whole time, is having my left out into my 1 MIC/LINE IN, and the right out into 2 MIC/LINE IN.
Honestly there might be something wrong with the first channel because I just don't get the recording on that track. I'll try 3&4 next.

Well I just did try the 3&4 and sure enough it works as easily as everyone just said. So I guess my first channel is busted or something!
Still have a little a distortion. Very little actually. Wondering what I can do to change this. I've tried recording kinda low. Since my keyboard has a EQ, should I turn down the Bass on it( which I have tried) and just tweak it with the Tascam, or should I just record with the low EQ at -0+ and then use a processor to bring out the Bass to where I want it?

Always try and record "flat" as possible, worry about the final eq when you mixdown. Double check your trim settings on all channels. Also, check your master fader, keep it around 7, if your individual faders are low, don't worry about it. I had a similar problem laying kick drum tracks. Have learned that sometimes the meters are not fast enough and won't pick up every little impulse. Just because you might see an occasional red light up, you might be at +6 in reality, drop that individual track down some more, even if it won't touch red. If you crank up the bass on the 414, your going to increase the level, so try and keep them flat. If your track one is still distorting out, I feel you may have a bad trim adjuster or one that is stuck. Like everyone else said, stay with individual tracks if you can, you have more control when your mixing down. Also, check your keyboard signal output controls, some of them (like mine) have a way so that you can turn down the output on the keyboard, that may also be causing you to distort.

Back