Help!

tweakapalooza

So I took singing lessons for over a year, and they got my nowhere. I have a deviated septum and very bad post nasal drip. I feel that most of my singing issues are from the excessive amounts of mucus in my throat, yet I also feel I never really comprehended what my teacher was telling me. If any of you guys can suggest some tips for me to deal with my mucus or where to "place" my singing (if that makes any sense) I'd greatly appreciate it!

(I'm getting my deviated septum fixed in a few months, and it should eliminate most of my issues I have as of now)

I don´t think that a condition like that would hinder your ability. (except in extreme cases of course) basically, for what i know, if you can speak, you can sing. Is just a matter of proper technique.

A problem would rise in the case that you are trying to emulate someone else´s voice, in this, where the physical part comes more into place, your condition could be a factor. For example, i have enormous tonsils, they barely keep my throat open. But since i never got around to surgically remove them, i got used to my voice like this. As a result, my singing voice is rather sharp with not much low end, but this does not represent a problem since i learned proper technique.

Speaking bluntly, maybe you are concentrating on placing the blame on that when actually the problem could be the lack of understanding you mentioned, or even a improper education?

Try finding another teacher with a different method for starters, to see if you catch on faster. That would be my first advice

Go to church. Seriously.. go to a local church that has a good choir, talk with the choir leader and see if they'll help you with singing lessons. Otherwise, find an instructor and concentrate on learning to sing from the diaphrahm (chest), and to not push the notes/tones up into your nasal cavity. Try not to put all the blame on the deviated septum. While that may have something to do with tonal quality, I'm not sure it will completely fix all your problems. Proper breathing, tone, jaw/mouth movements, head buzz, intonation, pronunciation, strengthening the core/diaphragm area, etc, etc.. are all things to consider. Having a good ear, proper/perfect pitch helps... Good luck!

Back