Help!!!

Oobleck42

I just bought a Global Audio GXL2200 Cardoid Condenser Microphone. Now, I've gotten it back home, hooked it up to my Tascam 788... and I've got nothing!! I've tried switching mic cables but I've still got no signal at all. I've assigned it to the appropriate channel and double checked all of the connections. So my question to anybody who is familiar with this sort of microphone is this: Did I get a bum mic or am I just overlooking something obvious?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
David

The fact that I don't really know what that means is probably the root of my problem. I have a dynamic microphone which works just fine with it, though.

Does a condenser mic need to be powered in some way? And is there a way to do this with the 788 by buying an adaptor or someting? Or have I just wasted my money?

I don't own this unit but I'm raeding its specs on line right now. I do NOT see even on board mic preamps. It looks to me like line inputs only. When you plugged in a dynamic mic, was it on a 1/4" connector by chance?

Yeah, the dynamic mic is plugged in with a 1/4" connector. As is the condenser mic.

The Tascam just has the 1/4" inputs and a selector to choose whether it's a mic or a line-in.

You need a mic preamp.

Plug your mic in to the pre. Engage the phantom power switch. Crank the volume. Go line out of the pre to the recorder and select "Line" level input.

Oobleck42 said:
I opted to trade it in for an Audio Technica battery-powered mic and now I'm in business.
Or you could buy a used phantom power box for about $20 or so.

But...
freshmattyp said:
Bottom line for me is Harvey has hard earned credibility. DJL has none. No one has any idea of what DJL has done. Not a clue. There's no web link, no posted work, no real name, nada, bupkus. DJL, you are just an opinionated asshole with no credibilty to back up anything you say. Your 3000+ posts of nonsense speak volumes about your "experience". Your lack of even basic conversational skills or the ability to form a coherent thought continue to amaze me. I have met some flaky bass players in my day, but you take the prize. Congratulations. And for God's sake, learn the difference between your and you're and their, there and they're. Repeat the 4th grade if necessary.

Oh, yeah, it's "damn" you moron. You can't even cuss right.
So don't expect too much.

This is beautiful. DJL was right, Harvey told him he was right, and now I'm going to tell him he was right to say DJL was right.

Harvey, you were right to say DJL was right, because he was.

Is everybody having fun?

The Tascam *does* have preamps in it, or it wouldn't have a "mic" setting on the input. Most SIAB's (studio in a box) have variable impedence inputs that can be adjusted for mic or line level inputs. Most also have a high-Z instrument input. While the preamps are not great ones, they are there. Condenser mics generally require power to be sent back to the mic through the cable. Called "phantom" power, it is usually a nominal 48v. Some mics provide their own power via battery, but a small preamp will be more versatile (and more expensive) than a phantom power supply. It will provide gain that is likely to be cleaner than that provided by the Tascam's pres. Consider M-Audio DMP-3 when the funds become available.-Richie

Back