Help Writing Positive Songs!!!!

jvasey

Ok, I've been writing songs pretty much all my life. Problem is, they're mostly either sad or angry songs. Does anybody out there write optimistic songs? I don't mean spiritual, just personal but positive in feel.

If so, where do you draw inspiration from? I'm great at writing songs about people and things that piss me off. Unfortunately, when things are going well, I don't seem to feel the need to write a song about it.

Jeff

I'm walking on sunshine, Oh...

I'm walking on sunshine, Oh...
And don't if feel good!

Happy happy, joy joy
Happy happy, joy joy

How do you write them? Same way you write the others.
Why do they sound "silly"? Because most "I'm so happy" songs just do. (see the examples above)

I don't know exactly why. But I suspect it has something to do with the psyche. Even in theater the juicier, meatier, easier roles to play are usually the antagonists, or at least characters with some sort of undesireable traits.

Most "positive" non-spiritual songs are typically of the "It's Friday (I'm in Love)" genre. So you might start by following that train of thought. Go ahead and pick something that sounds a little sugary and then really work on the arrangement. Maybe add a twist to it to make it more poignant (see early Springsteen). Invent a dance step and write the next "Peppermint Twist" (go J-vas, go J-vas...). Pick a benign topic like "Little Deuce Coupe". Let it rip, add in some non-sense, "the bird is the word". Just don't be too self-conscious.

If you already have a repertoire full of angst, some really off-the-wall stuff would balance you out nicely. Kind of like John Prine, John Hiatt, and David Wilcox. That's nice company to be in.

Peace <><

Maybe you could use the same principles that I use in writing spiritual stuff.

For instants, take the subject of those sad/mad songs and ask yourself, "what would make myself and hopefully others feel glad or happy about this subject."

I know your not into writing spiritual songs, but just for an example, I have sad/mad feelings about the abortion issue. I had tried for many years to write a song about it. But the attitude of the song always came out wrong in the end. I mean how do you write a song about babies being killed and feel good about it.

So I wrote a song thru the eyes of a young man telling a story of a woman that went to get an abortion. She came into contact with another woman that was praying accross the street, from the abortion clinic, for the unborn children. The woman changes her mind and chooses to have the baby. Then thru the course of the song you find out that the young man telling the story would have been the aborted child if she would have followed through. But now the young man is praying accross the street for the unborn children. It comes full circle. There was something good out of the bad. I was just looking at it from the wrong angle. The good in a given situation may be harder to find, but its there. You may have to look at through someone else's eyes, if that makes any sence.

This principle works for me. Good luck with your writing.

<><
George :cool:

Maybe you could just brainstorm with some funny Quotes or Cliches' and interpret what they mean to you. And turn it into a song.

t

I love you, you love me.
Ice cream makes me so happy.
There goes my neighbor in his Eldorado
and a blue cocker spaniel singing do ce do.

The sun is bright, so's the moon.
It's fun to write a happy tune.
With a demerol, a Prozak and a chocolate shake,
and a Mikita Sawzall to cut the cake.

I'm almost done, aren't you glad?
I tried ta make ya happy but you look sad.
Well dagnabbit, shootdang and poopydoo,
this didn't work so I'm leavin' you!

Well, I almost did it! :D

LOL! LOL! But really - "dagnabbit, shootdang and poopydoo"- did you have to use such vile language :eek:? Shame! :D:D:D

t

Yeah I hear ya, in fact I belive I've been censored for the first time in another thread for even less!
Gonna have to watch it I guess. :(

I'm just the opposite...

Most of my songs are positive, if not downright goofy...

I think it is just your personal outlook.

Queue

Put a slice of balogna in each of your shoes, and you'll FEEL funny, ergo: positive songs! (to paraphrase Steve Martin)

Bob

I know what you mean about sad songs. It took me ages before I actually wrote a 'positive' song. I can't offer any advice though. I didn't particularly want to write songs, it just happened. The same thing applies to happy -v- sad songs. I don't think it's down to a particular day, feeling or state of mind.

I am going through a bit of writers block at the moment (why I haven't been around this forum for a while). I used to try and think why but I now accept the fact that it cyclical and get on with something else. I won't decide when I want to write my next song......my hand'll just reach fro the pen and paper (usually 4 o'clock in the morning or something like that).

Give up the fight. If you try and force yourself to write a happy song it'll most likely have a contrived feel to it. if it happens it happens.

Glad to be of service...........LOL.

Krystof... It happens to the best...

When you take up a pencil and sharpen it up
when you're kicking the fence and still nothing will budge
when the words are immobile until you sit down
never feel they're worth keeping they're not easily found
then you know in some strange unexplainable way
you must really have something jumping thumping fighting
hiding away important to say

I'm sure you recognize those lyrics....

Queue

If the song deals with overcoming some adversity or resolving some crisis, it's a positive song without being sugarcoated happytalk.

...maybe you could write a song about how much you enjoyed your lobotomy...

"FUCK HAPPY"... Bruce McCullough

Dude

If YOU are dark and gloomy.......
SO will be your lyric (it's natural.)

Don't be goofy.... unless ya want a be....ya know?

Think positive.....
Feel positive.....

Also,.............
If you aint connected to the lyric in some way.......
It more than likely will not be convincing.
(A reader/listener can tell this as well.)
Ya gotta write from your heart and soul.
Don't write about things that you don't know........
Write about things that are in YOUR life.....
Things that relate to YOU and people close to you.

It can't all be gloomy.........can it?
I think that some writers do not feel serious unless they are writing about a love gone bad, or a disater of some sorts, or a political statement of some kind. As long as you're connected....
It'll work and, work well.

Ya just gotta feel it.
Good luck

Happy songs suck.
Black , angry depsressed songs rock.
My opinion's probably clouded by the fact that thats all i write.

Happy songs don't "SUCK." Not being able to write or create "SUCKS" big time! Some of the time "listening" to dark miserable lets go kill ourselves or somebody else first songs really "SUCKS." I guess it just depends on what you are in the mood for, but writing and the gift of creativity never "sucks" no matter what the source. It just isn't always appreciated.

Keep the faith, Ozlee:eek: :confused: :cool:

Back