help with volume trouble

teddyastuffed

hello everyone. i just recently got a behringer ub2442fxpro (cheap and i needed more i/o's -_-), but am having trouble configuring it. im going into my audiophile 24/96 into my computer where i track, mix and master.

my question has to do with the tracking part...

when tracking lets say vocals or guitars, for some reason it sounds very loud when im actively recording, but then when i play it back from my computer, the volume is very low. i know i could compress it and what not, but id like to have the input to my computer be as accurate as possible, so little mixing needs r needed. i honestly dont know why its louder while recording and softer when just listening to the track, but here is how i have my chain setup.

mixer subout 1+2 -> audiophile mono in's -> computer
computer -> audiophile mono outs -> channel 15/16 on mixer

pretty much i have channel 15/16 at 0 dB and set to the main mix which is at 0dB as well, then other channels r tracked to 1-2 subouts (which i set sub 1 to the left channel and sub 2 to the right channel). i then have my monitors/headphones set to listen to the main mix only. i dont know what the problem is in my chain... but i dont think this is normal. i used that process of PFL level setter to get a good level, but like i said, it becomes so quiet afterwards when its in my computer. whats the problem?!

First of all, do you have some kind of volume control on your computer that you're overlooking? How does the meter read on your tracks during playback? During tracking? Is it in line with what you're expecting, only the volume is low? If you are monitoring your inputs during tracking with the mixer and not from the soundcard, it is not really an indication of what level your soundcard is recieving during tracking.

the levels on the computer r set to 0dB on all the tracks (just as if i just started a new project). and i am monitoring during tracking, but the monitors r only picking up the main mix, and the only thing tracked for the main mix is whats coming out of the computer. so thats y i dont understand y the levels r different, cuz technically i should be hearing only the sounds coming out of the computer

and no, the levels im getting on the computer while recording r very low (i need to zoom in all the way to see tiny wav signals). what im hearing while recording is much louder than what is being put onto the computer

Do you have an adjustable input level on your soundcard? And not to sound snotty towards you or anything, but are you sure you are not also hearing your inputs to your mixer while tracking instead of just the soundcard's output? What I'm saying is, if you unplugged your #15&16 channels that you mentioned, can you not hear the channels your tracking that you have going to the sub? My experiences tell me that the tracks might still be heard in the main out of your mixer, even if you are picking them up through a sub out to your soundcard. I may be wrong about that, but it doesn't hurt to check.

hmm thats weird, when i unplug the channel 15/16, i do still hear the sound from my subgroups... but i dont have the monitors plugged in to hear that at all. would u know how to set it up to not have this problem anymore? thanks for the help by the way

Rather that routing thru a bus on your mixer, have you ever tried using the channel insert as an output? That should eliminate it from being heard in the main out of your mixer if that is what you have to use to monitor. If you don't know what I mean by the channel insert, simply plug an instrument cable into the "insert" socket on the channel strip until one click engages. This is normally a send/return jack for an effect but one click in with a standard cable will only use the output. You may know about this but I'm just explaining it anyway. Otherwise, I would say you've got to watch the input meter on your computer to get your level right rather than just listening to your monitors.
Just curious, do you have any kind of power amp and monitor speakers, or do you just use the headphones plugged into the mixer? If not perhaps even some PC speakers would give you a better idea of what is realling hitting your soundcard instead of listening at the mixer.

Back