Help with voltage switchable power supplies - Americans please help

SteveMcB

Just some guy from NZ
Friends, Romans (or Americans), Countrymen (or not),
Lend me your (rack) ears!!!

I live in New Zealand, home of sheep, kiwis, and only 2 chains of major musical instrument/pro audio chains, both of which sell different lines of product, so that there is some competition between competing products, but no competition for prices for the same product. Consequently, the price of everything musical (with few exceptions) is extremely high, and in this world of internet and the global market, we get very unhappy with the prices we have to pay when we can see at the push of a button the prices that you all pay! For example, a Rode NTK -US $449 at 8thstreet. US$854 at Auckland Rockshop. I know problem occurs in other parts of the world (Australia, Asia, Europe)

We also have 240v 60Hz power supply coming outa the wall. So do Australia, parts of Asia and Europe.

I have started buying some gear offshore, recently acquiring a pair of MXL603's and an RNC. No powering problems there, because phantom power is the same everywhere, and wall warts are easy.

What I'd love to know though, is what in the low to mid-price (high end stuff would be interesting too) internal power supplied rack gear range has switchable power supplies, so that I know what I can buy over the net or get my dad to pick up next time he's over. So I'm asking you to look around at the back of your rack, and see which units have something written on the back of them about switchable power supplies. It would be great to compile a list for me and all the other 240V people out there.

I'm talking about stuff like Mindprint, Joemeek (non-wall-wart models), DBX, drawmer, TC electronic, ART, Presonus, Behringer, Focusrite, Grace etc. I'm primarily interested at the moment in preamps and comps, but info on any other gear would be great too, and I'm sure a few of my European and Australasian/Asian brethren on the board would be interested too.

Alternatively, if you know of a source of such information, please, please direct me to it. I've looked at some websites, and it seems that mostly they just don't list this kind of info.

Thanks,
Steve

Good question Steve.

The alternative is to have a dedicated power supply that drops the 240V down to 110V............(they are available), that way you have the choice of your domestic 240 supply and a 110 supply for imported gear.

:cool:

I'm not far from "Da Thumb" myself, which I noticed under your name in the post. ;)

I live in Tuscola county. Just thought I'd shout a hello to a fellow Michigan home recorder.

eh?

:D

Ausrock,
I've had friends who've used step-down transformers with computer and audio gear, and they've had horrendous problems with noise and interferance. Sometimes the step-downs were cheap models, but sometimes not! I'd rather not take the chance, and get something that I know has a switchable power supply to try and avoid the lottery!!!

C7sus - I have to say that I was already aware of that. However, as we all know from high school science classes, lower voltage means you need more current to give the same power yes? That means that the 240v crowd (including the british) use lower current. That means less amps. As they use less amps to do the same jobs, that means they must be better amps. And that's why the british have always built better amps (Marshall/Trace Elliot/Vox) than the Americans

:D :D :D :D ;)

Steve

P.S. I actually really like Fenders, Mesa's, SWRs, Gibsons etc. but don't tell anyone

Speedy VonTrapp said:
I'm not far from "Da Thumb" myself, which I noticed under your name in the post. ;)

I live in Tuscola county. Just thought I'd shout a hello to a fellow Michigan home recorder.

eh?

:D

Hey, Speedy. I'm in Emmett, in St. Clair County.

I knew a Caro girl once. Bean farmer's daughter. Mmmmm....

Daf

SteveMcB said:
Friends, Romans (or Americans), Countrymen (or not),
Lend me your (rack) ears!!!

I live in New Zealand, home of sheep, kiwis, and only 2 chains of major musical instrument/pro audio chains, both of which sell different lines of product, so that there is some competition between competing products, but no competition for prices for the same product. Consequently, the price of everything musical (with few exceptions) is extremely high, and in this world of internet and the global market, we get very unhappy with the prices we have to pay when we can see at the push of a button the prices that you all pay! For example, a Rode NTK -US $449 at 8thstreet. US$854 at Auckland Rockshop. I know problem occurs in other parts of the world (Australia, Asia, Europe)

We also have 240v 60Hz power supply coming outa the wall. So do Australia, parts of Asia and Europe.

I have started buying some gear offshore, recently acquiring a pair of MXL603's and an RNC. No powering problems there, because phantom power is the same everywhere, and wall warts are easy.

What I'd love to know though, is what in the low to mid-price (high end stuff would be interesting too) internal power supplied rack gear range has switchable power supplies, so that I know what I can buy over the net or get my dad to pick up next time he's over. So I'm asking you to look around at the back of your rack, and see which units have something written on the back of them about switchable power supplies. It would be great to compile a list for me and all the other 240V people out there.

I'm talking about stuff like Mindprint, Joemeek (non-wall-wart models), DBX, drawmer, TC electronic, ART, Presonus, Behringer, Focusrite, Grace etc. I'm primarily interested at the moment in preamps and comps, but info on any other gear would be great too, and I'm sure a few of my European and Australasian/Asian brethren on the board would be interested too.

Alternatively, if you know of a source of such information, please, please direct me to it. I've looked at some websites, and it seems that mostly they just don't list this kind of info.

Thanks,
Steve

And also by Steve......

"I've had friends who've used step-down transformers with computer and audio gear, and they've had horrendous problems with noise and interferance. Sometimes the step-downs were cheap models, but sometimes not! I'd rather not take the chance, and get something that I know has a switchable power supply to try and avoid the lottery!!!"

Steve - I think I may have found a solution for you! If the NTK is US$459 at 8th street then it will be worthwhile checking out an Australian retailer who has the correct mic with the correct power supply that you need....www.musiclab.net.au.. speak to Dean... Also checkout: [url]www.factorysound.com
www.musiccitysydney.com.au
www.turramusic.com.au

There is a full list of Rode dealers on their website (www.rodemic.com) and I think that you will be pleasantly surprised at the pricing from dealers instead of having to shop in the US and worry about different power ratings. I hope this helps - please let us know how you go.

Glawfindle,
Thanks for the NTK info. I was, however, only using it as an example. I'd dearly love an NTK, but it's not a priority right now, and if I were going to get one, I'd definitely order from Australia (I got my RNC from musiclab.net.au). But I'd love to be able to send my dad to guitar centre next time he's in the USA with a little list of things to look out for in the clearance sales, eg. Joemeek V6q (buy if under $XXX), mindprint envoice, focusrite voicemaster pro, and so on and so forth. But it's hard to get the info. Even here...
Thanks again though, I do appreciate your input,

Steve

Back