Help With Understanding Equipment/Tech Choices for Percussion

havetagotta

Hi all,

I'm just starting home recording. I use a Macbook Pro and GarageBand. I'm all set on an interface (I have an MAudio FastTrack), bass and guitar, and am purchasing a decently-rated USB mic. What I don't quite understand though is what to do about the drums.

I've played with the drums and loops in GarageBand and I'm not a fan, mainly because of using the laptop keyboard to tap out rhythms and the fact that I don't think it's as responsive or precise as I'd like. I want to be able to create my own drums using...something. I don't own a drumkit, nor do I have the space to set one up. I don't want to invest in a big electronic drum kit because, again, space. Back in the day (talking 1996) I remember using a drum machine to make some basic tracks, but I don't remember how it was set up. I went to the Googles to see what my options were and was completely overwhelmed and confused. I don't know if I need some software and a keyboard or some kind of external drum machine that can connect to my mac via usb or what. I've seen apps like iDrum but I don't understand the underlying architecture. Like, is it another app that uses my built-in keyboard as the drumpad? Is it better than the built-in drum options for GarageBand? Or would GarageBand work better if I had an external interface?

I'd love it if someone could boil it down to basics for me. I just want to tap out basic drum rhythms with my fingers to create a drum track of demo quality, and have GarageBand record it, but I don't want to use my Macbook keyboard. Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance,
stevie

Back