help with tracktion2 and DFH

ax2x3m

hi, jsut got myself the new tracktion because some people said it handles vsts better than FL Studio, what i was previously using

i have drum kit from hell 2 and i tried to load it in tracktion and it doesnt play anything other than the bass... anyone know how i could setup tracktion for DFH?

It should be a simple matter to get any VSTi going in Tracktion2...and you're right when you say it's a vastly superior host than FL.

By 'anything other than the bass' do you mean all you are hearing is the kick drum?

It's probably not a Tracktion thing, but a DFH thing. What are you using to program your midi drum parts? Or are you loading midi files? Or some other method of getting midi into Tracktion?

And do the midi clips just show the kick drum or the whole kit?

ssscientist said:
It should be a simple matter to get any VSTi going in Tracktion2...and you're right when you say it's a vastly superior host than FL.

By 'anything other than the bass' do you mean all you are hearing is the kick drum?

It's probably not a Tracktion thing, but a DFH thing. What are you using to program your midi drum parts? Or are you loading midi files? Or some other method of getting midi into Tracktion?

And do the midi clips just show the kick drum or the whole kit?

i kinda figured it out, the thing where you should put DFH in a rack thing, i did that, im kinda confused though on how to use it, should i just use the midi keyboard and if so, how do i know which notes have sound assigned to them? since i seperated DFH into different racks, im kinda confused on how to arrange the drums

to well lets say, FL Studio where i have all my drum sounds in one keyboard layout

Racks are for combinations of instruments and effects that you want to use more than one track in a song. They are the equivalent of busses in other audio programs.

You do not need to put DFH in a rack.

Pull the 'filter' icon to the channel on the top left of the screen down and the VST fx and VSTi menu of all the plugins in your system will pop up. Drop DFH on the channel. Then make sure your midi controller is on that track and has no 'circle slash' thru it, just a red 'R'. There should be no need to map the sounds differently than they come out of the box unless you really want to --- just go with the standard mapping.

If you have the DFH.dll file in the VST plugins folder that Tracktion scans when it starts up, then you should'nt be having problems. It sounds to me like you're making this more difficult than it actually is...

ssscientist said:
Racks are for combinations of instruments and effects that you want to use more than one track in a song. They are the equivalent of busses in other audio programs.

You do not need to put DFH in a rack.

Pull the 'filter' icon to the channel on the top left of the screen down and the VST fx and VSTi menu of all the plugins in your system will pop up. Drop DFH on the channel. Then make sure your midi controller is on that track and has no 'circle slash' thru it, just a red 'R'. There should be no need to map the sounds differently than they come out of the box unless you really want to --- just go with the standard mapping.

If you have the DFH.dll file in the VST plugins folder that Tracktion scans when it starts up, then you should'nt be having problems. It sounds to me like you're making this more difficult than it actually is...

yeah, im kinda new to this tracktion thing, hate to sound like a noob but whats a midi controller? is that different from the insert>midi clip> thing

btw i only use the midi keyboard to map out my drums, thats what i use back when i was using FL studio, since tracktion has a much larger midi keyboard, im kinda confused on what sound goes to what key

ax2x3m said:
whats a midi controller?
A midi controller is midi keyboard that makes no noise/no sound on it's own. It needs to be patched into a sequencing program with at least one VSTi - like your DFH - and is optimized with continuous controller knobs, faders and switches to be assigned to various functions inside the program or VSTi. Here's a link to a good one.

This would take the place of the mouse/Tracktion on-screen keyboard that you're using now, and IMHO after 10 minutes of using it you won't ever miss using the other system to input midi notes.

Back