Help with teac 80-8 newbie here

LToro

hello newbie to the forum, first post. English is not my native language so there.
I bought a Teac 80-8 for a fare price two days a go. The Teac looks great and works ok. The machine slows down, i think the weight of the tape has something to do with it. If i stop half way tape roll, the machine basics, fast forward, pause, play, and rewind don't work properly. I can hear the inner workings of the machine engaging, and after couple tries the basics will work back again, I think because of tape weight, the motor doesn't have enough torque to move the tape on a good manner, i've seen a thread from next door Tape OP forum, that these machines can suffer, from a loose solenoid housing? can anybody help me locate where this thing is? how does looks like?

here's what "lassoharp" have to say over at Tape OP

Was luckily able to find and fix this problem.

The apparent cause was the solenoid housing - located on the rear of the reel motor - had slipped out of position towards the left causing the solenoid plunger to disengage incorrectly(thus keeping the brakes from disengaging during Play/Rew/FF).

Fixing it was a relatively simple matter of loosening the set screws and adjusting the physical position of the housing slightly towards the right.

thanks

have you removed the back cover yet? What do see? :)
I would imagine, break solenoids are located somewhere under (or above) the reel "wheels" , the break band around them, attached somehow to the levers and to solenoids' plungers. Don't do anything yet, observe what happens while operating, see what's going on in the situation when the machine "acting slow" or what ever... the breaks may not be the issue.
Also, as it was mentioned many times around, make sure you are using good tape (not old, that may stick to guide posts :) ).
Check the belt too.
If you have camera post photos. (also, You need to make few more posts to be able to attach picture)

btw, I am desperately hunting for an 80-8 for a period of time... no luck, but some day I 'll be a happy kid :D

LToro; ...The machine slows down said:
==========================================================
dirty heads and tape guides could be contributing to causing the slowdown.

did you clean the tape heads, guides, etc with 91% isopropyl alcohol using q-tips?
imo, it will be necessary to clean the heads and guides very frequently as a lot of tape is older and may have the 'sticky-shed syndrome'. i do it after every tape record/play/pass whether it sheds or not.

Last edited:
have you removed the back cover yet? What do see? :)
I would imagine, break solenoids are located somewhere under (or above) the reel "wheels" , the break band around them, attached somehow to the levers and to solenoids' plungers. Don't do anything yet, observe what happens while operating, see what's going on in the situation when the machine "acting slow" or what ever... the breaks may not be the issue.
Also, as it was mentioned many times around, make sure you are using good tape (not old, that may stick to guide posts :) ).
Check the belt too.
If you have camera post photos. (also, You need to make few more posts to be able to attach picture)

btw, I am desperately hunting for an 80-8 for a period of time... no luck, but some day I 'll be a happy kid :D

I haven't yet DR ZEE, i'm gathering as much info as i can, but your suggestion makes but all sense to me, i'll take the back off to watch how everything works, so far the machine seems to be in clean state, heads, tape path and other wise, however i should open back and front and look inside to see how clean and how everything looks/works thanks and keep em coming:o i;m going to need lots of help

LToro; ...The machine slows down said:
dirty heads and tape guides could be contributing to causing the slowdown.

did you clean the tape heads, guides, etc with 91% isopropyl alcohol using q-tips?
imo, it will be necessary to clean the heads and guides very frequently as a lot of tape is older and may have the 'sticky-shed syndrome'. i do it after every tape record/play/pass whether it sheds or not.

thanks Westgate !! i'm in the process of cleaning all matters of tape guides paths and heads, i'm checking the link for the sticky thread..

mr. Ltoro, i can't stress it enough, it's best if you do an immediate and thorough cleaning of the heads, guides, etc yourself so you know it's clean. and it needs to be done very often.
'seems to be in clean state' isn't the same as 'it is clean'.
:)

You are absolutely right Westgate, i'm looking into it :o

Back