help with studio setup

teddyastuffed

hello everyone. ive been recording for a matter of 6 months and have learned quite a bit. now im essentially wondering if my method of connection is flawed or if i just have shitty equipment.

im going to use my guitar for an example

ok so my chain is essentially this (in short):
guitar->podxt->behringer ub1202(the $80 one :/)->main out->audiophile 2496
then out my computer like this
audiophile 2496->tape in on mixer->then i have headphones plugged into my mixer "Phones" jack

ok essentially my question is why my tones dont sound very good. is it a chain problem? the only thing in the chain i could figure is the problem is that im using the tape in method to go back to the mixer, but i didnt think it would cause that bad of sound quality. also im using a bunch of unbalanced line cables to do this, but the length of each wire isnt more than 3 feet long on each. so i dont think thats a big problem. the only other thing i could think of is the fact that my guitar is just shitty. but it seems like stuff coming out of the computer sounds better than stuff going into my computer. for example when im just listening to music ive recorded it sounds nice but when i listen to myself play guitar, it sounds very muffled and what not. its kinda hard to explain but thats about as good as i can put it. any input would be fabulous. thanks in advance

Back