Help with Soundproofing

Niranga

Hi. I'm in the process of converting my jam room into a studio room complete with studio quality mics, a DAW, and lots of soundproofing.

The walls and ceiling are just the typical painted white walls and ceilings you find in any house. I was thinking I'd line the walls and ceiling with 1 inch of Urethane Foam (used in walls and carpets) and then place 96 sq. ft. of Sonex Polyurethane Foam in strategic locations.

The key here is affordability. I've found Urethane Foam for 7 cents per sq. ft., and 96 sq. ft. packages of Sonex Foam for a little over $100.

Obviously there will be a TREMENDOUS difference from the original 4 walled hard-walled room, but will it be very good for recording? Combined with a DAW (using the soon-to-be-released Direct Pro Q32) and some good mics I am hoping to get semi-professional (if not PROFESSIONAL) sound. Comments? Advice?

Thanks,
Nir

Are you trying to SOUNDPROOF your room (I.E. not letting sound out) or trying to deaden the room? (cutting down on sonic reflection due in part to parallel walls?)

If you are proofing your room, the cheapest way to go is heavy blankets and carpet, IMHO.

If all you need to do is deaden, I would just cover all walls with carpet (can be cheap if you shop for remnants). And try to refract sound waves on the walls directly across from your monitoring source (I use eggcrates and Sonex for this).

For real pro soundproofing and deadening, check out John Sayers web site. Look at his studio design - not a parallel wall in the house! That is the key for real pro studios.

Brad

I want to deaden the reflections inside (as I said, for recording purposes).

Carpet is WAY more expensive than urethane foam...urethane is like 7 cents per sq. foot...even the shittiest of shitty carpet is around 33 cents. I have roughly 1500 sq. ft. to cover.

Niranga. I'm not sure what you mean by the urethane foam- is that the white stuff they line fridges/surfboards etc with? The stuff they make coolers out of?
cheers
john

Back