Help with purchasing Studio Headphones

Doza

Hi everyone,

I would like to purchase new studio headphones. I have mackie monitoring speakers which are very nice but since I moved my studio to my garage. I didn't bring over my vocal booth I built. So I get a lot of feed back. I'm trying to reduce this and order two pairs of head phones. One for the engineer/guy on the controls and one for the artist. I figure they both should be the same since. The artist can tell the guy on the controls what he/she hears and doesn't like or what not. In any case, I was trying to figure out what headphones are best in my price range for what i need them for. I'm looking at the 100-200$ range. I have read really good things about "Audio Technica atm-m50". I also heard AKG were good but not sure which model. Any input on headphones I haven't heard that would be good for my application or ones i've mention would be greatly appreciated.

My recording Hardware (maschine and other production hardware not included)
- Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 FireWire Interface
- PreSonus HP4 Discrete 4-Channel Headphone Amp
- PRESONUS STUDIO CHANNELTUBE PRE
- Blue Bluebird Large Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone
Heres a link of how my studio looks minus the recent changes in the past year.. I can't add a URL since i'm new.. search youtube for "Hyperbolic Music - Doza Da MC Studio Tour" if your interested in seeing the setup. Isn't the best but its okay IMO..

I couldn't find a specific thread on this but I'm not a google searcher. If you can link me to anything that would work as well. Thanks for any input..

I use mackie hr624s for monitoring.

My headphones are sennheiser hd280s. I have no problem with them. Comfortable, good isolation, good enough balance.....
The singer gets sennheiser hd201s. They're about a tenth of the price.

I don't see any need for them to be the same because the only feedback you ever get from an performer is "can you turn me up".

Works for me. ;)

I have read really good things about "Audio Technica atm-m50".

I own a pair of Audio Technica ATM's and my singer seems like them very well. Personally, I prefer my Shure SRH 440's.

The aforementioned Sennheiser 280's are also very nice.

The ATH-M50's have been my go-to for about 5 years now. I use them damn near every day and absolutely love them.
Make sure you break them in when you first get them, though. Very low end heavy until they get several hours of music through 'em.

I hate the sound of hd280, but they have great isolation... usually go-to headphones for drummers. Singers, guitarists and others will have Sony mdr-7506 or Beyerdynamic 770 phones - less isolation but better sound. Can't tell you about ATH-M50 but I'm interested hearing them.

Back