Help with old EV mic

elmerfunk

To Infinity..and Beyond!!
I was going through some old boxes of wires, cables, and other various electronic junk and I came across this old EV V-3 microphone. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the model microphone. My guess it was used in early broadcasting. The mic is pretty much complete except for the male 3 prong end that plugs into the mic. The steel casing with the threads is there but the male prongs are not. It is a vari- ohm mic. I don't know if it is a ribbon mic or what. If anyone can help me I would like to try to get the thing working or at least see if it is capable of working. I have posted a couple pics. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ev mic 2.jpg
    ev mic 2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 391
  • ev mic 1.jpg
    ev mic 1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 196
It looks like an Old Ribbon Mic...Seems like a Really nice Find, If you could Clean it up and get it working and Install an XLR Connector you might be able to sell it for quite a Bit of Cash as some Vintage Mic collectors will pay quite a Bit for working vintage microphones especially with the High cost of ribbon mics....

What does it say on the Tag ?? all I can make out is the "Electro Voice" Name and maybe a serial number or maybe a model Number??

It might even be worth keeping and useing in your studio especially if it has a Good sound and you can use it ......

Nice Find!!

Cheers

The tag says:....

Electro Voice
Velocity Microphone
Model V-3
Vari-Z Ohms

I can't read the rotary switch on the back. I didn't want to start taking anything apart for fear of damaging it. If you know anything more let me know and thanks for the info.

That's not a missing 3-prong connector. That's an intact connector for an ancient item called an amphenol cable. Here's a link to a guy who will sell you one-

www.artgraham.net/micdoctor/index_090203.html

Here it is on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-hand-made-O...ryZ29947QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Most likely the switch sets the mic's impedence. You want to set it for low impedence, if it isn't already there, and leave it there. Ask the mic doctor for an amphenol to XLR cable, plug that baby in, and find out if it works. I wouldn't recommend turning on the phantom power.

OK- Most likely made between 1937 and 1942, the V-3 is a variable impedence, bidirectional, ribbon mic that went head to head with Shure 55A,55B, and 55C Unidyne, the original cardioid dynamic mic. Around 1946, I forget the exact year, the 55 was changed to 55S, producing one multiple impedence model, instead of a low, middle, and high impedence version. They added a switch so they only had to produce one model. Your V-3 seems to have been a major competitor to the Shure 55. Based on the pictures out there, yours is in about as good shape as any. Here's a link with the original spec sheet:

http://www.coutant.org/v1a/index.html

I hope yours works. It's a piece of history, and most likely will require a major refurb. The mic doctor generally does 55's, but may be able to recommend someone that can do the refurb. Congrats!-Richie

P.S.- Oh yeah- the switch on the front turns it on and off, and the rotary switch on the back sets the impedence.

Last edited:
It works!!!!

I just took apart a male XLR connector for now to see if it works. I wired up a cable with just the three male pins from the connector. It works!!! Nice sound. The only thing I can tell is maybe the ribbon is rubbing against the magnet. Makes noise when you move it. It's definitely not cable noise it's the ribbon. I don't know much about old ribbon mics. Should the ribbon be fairly taut? I'm wondering if I can replace or make an adjustment to the ribbon? Anyway It's definitely working...Has a nice warm sound. If anyone has any experience inside ribbon mics let me know what you think. Thanks again.

My best advice- don't touch that ribbon, and don't shake the mic! I haven't seen the inside of this sucker, but most mics of that period suspended the capsule in some kind of shock-absorbing material, usually foam. Most likely there is foam in there, and it has mostly crumbled to dust. The ribbon is **very** delicate, and yes, it could be re-ribboned, expensively, by an expert. If the ribbon is intact, the refurb will cost a hell of a lot less. The odds are 10:1 or better that if you mess with the internals, you will damage (which generally means destroy) the ribbon. I think you would be far better off sending the mic to a pro, packed damned carefully, and marked ***FRAGILE***, or better yet, finding a pro close to you and driving it there yourself. I think that very few people on this board would suggest that your first major mod project should be re-ribboning and replacing the suspension in a classic vintage ribbon mic. I wouldn't use it until it's fixed, either. I don't think shorting out the ribbon would be pretty. -Richie

This one is pretty common cheaper ribbon mic designed for broadcast and consumer recording.
Some sellers on Ebay say that it is an EV version of famous RCA 44 mic, which is not true. The only thing resembles RCA is its outside shape. The internal structure is very different.
It was built around Alnico magnets and Armco iron pole pieces, with brass supporting frame.
There were 3 models--V1, V2, and V3, which had different cable connectors, impedance selectors (or lack of those), mute switch, and different internal structure support and shock absorbers. The V1 had a slightly lower HF response corner.

The impedance selector on V3 has 50, 250, 500, and 25K settings, where the last was intended for direct to grid operation.

I serviced quite a few of those and the transformer is not of the highest quality, usually with uneven lamination and black residue. The mic would greatly benefit if you replace it with Lundahl. Although you lose impedance switching, the response will be much more uniform and extended on HF.

If as you say, the ribbon rubs the magnets (pole pieces), it is a good time to re-ribbon it. The original ribbon was made of rolled material. Modern electroplated pure aluminum has much better compliance and you will get much better performance.

Overall, properly restored/updated this mic can be quite a capable performer.

Expert re-ribboning

Marik's the guy to send it to. I recently heard an ML-52 he re-ribboned (including balancing the resonant frequencies of the ribbons) that sounded great.

He's done many, many ribbon mic repairs and is set up with the right aluminium material, a corregator, gap measurment tools, magnets etcs. He even milled out the resonant metal fins on the ML-52 so he can do metal work as well.

Plus, his prices are very reasonable considering the arcane and detailed nature of ribbon mic work.

Just reading Marik's post, he appears to have the knowledge base and the experience to do the refurb. I strongly suggest that you consider it as a "no owner serviceable parts inside" and send it to a pro..-Richie

Back