Help with Noise Gate

So I'm editing an audiobook and the way that I do it is that I completely eliminate background noise and breaths from my vocal track and then I lay a room noise track under it. I do this because its way easier to work with the vocal track if I don't have to worry about making the room noise sound consistent while removing breaths etc.

So I just got Izotope RX Standard and it has a cool feature called "Find Similar" where I can highlight breaths and then find all of them and then mute them all. Yes, it also has a breath removal function but it doesn't work very well, where as this way works almost perfectly.

The only issue is that it leaves some minor artifacts that need to be cleaned up. No big deal, they are all -50dB or quieter so they can be easily dealt with by a noise gate.

So I'm back in Audition and applying the noise gate (Dynamics in Audition). My understanding is if I have a noise that is -59dB and I apply a noise gate at -52dB, it should take care of that -59 dB blip, right?

For some reason when I do that, its not taking care of all of them. When I ran it twice it did, but I'm not sure why it didn't take care of all of the little blips the first time. For example, the first pass did remove a -54dB blip but left the -59dB blip.

Is this an issue with the release or another setting? I'm not really sure what the other settings mean besides the threshold. Screen shot of my Dynamics settings is attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 8.44.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 8.44.03 AM.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 1
The other noise gate setting you have are
Attack time - How long it takes for the mic to go from off to on, as a fade in.
Hold time - How long the mic should stay on after the volume has dropped below the close threshold.
Release time - How long it takes for the mic to go from on to off, as a fade out.

You might have a small peak that is above your threshold for a split second. The release time will hold it on for 100ms. You might play with adjusting your release time as since 100ms is 1/10 second. Cut it by 50ms and see if it helps. It can't hurt to play with settings as long as you don't save the file. You can always reload the original if you don't like the results.

Back