Help with my soundcard?

dark_iscariot

Im using the line in but when im recording, whether its electric guitar through the amp or acoustic straight in the line in jack, i can only record from the left line in channel, and not from the right, so for instance when i put the sound on from the linein, it only sounds in the left headphone. any help would be appreciated!
the adapter from 3.5 to 6.3mm is stereo!

dark_iscariot said:
Im using the line in but when im recording, whether its electric guitar through the amp or acoustic straight in the line in jack, i can only record from the left line in channel, and not from the right, so for instance when i put the sound on from the linein, it only sounds in the left headphone. any help would be appreciated!
the adapter from 3.5 to 6.3mm is stereo!

The guitar is mono. Using a stereo cable will not fix the problem. You need to find a splitter that sends the mono signal down both stereo paths. The hack solution to this would be to partially plug the cable into your soundcard. What I mean by that is that it does not snap all the way and only one line makes contact with the contacts inside the cards jack.

yeah well but the sound differs then, but still if it is mono, it should be able to sound from only right, as well as only left. but it only sounds from left.

You need a Y cable.

The only way to record to the right channel if you're just using a stereo adapter is to half-insert the plug, but I don't see any reason why you'd want to do this. The reason for this is that the left channel is on the tip of a stereo plug, and you're running a mono 1/4" plug into the adapter which carries its signal on the tip. Pull the 1/4" plug half-ways out of the adapter so that its tip is making contact with the adapter's ring, and your signal will come in on the right (side) channel.

You really need a Y cable consisting of 2 female 1/4" mono jacks and one male 1/4" stereo plug. Then you need a stereo 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. This way you can just plug into whichever channel you want.

Slackmaster 2000

but the plug im using is stereo, when ive used it at a friends house it worked, but not on my computer? I need this because i want to play through the comp.speakers with the guitar.

Then what your friend had was a splitter, not just a regular adapter. A 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRS adapter will not convert an incoming 1/4" TS mono signal into a stereo signal!

Your friend might also have had a better soundcard which allows him to pan each input, like the m-Audio Delta series.

Slackmaster 2000

if you just wanna hear your sound through both speakers, just use a mono 1/4" to mono 1/8" cable...no splitters,adapters,etc......

so a mono adapter instead of a stereo? and that will make it sound in both speakers at the same time? then why use a stereo adapter?

so a mono adapter instead of a stereo? and that will make it sound in both speakers at the same time? then why use a stereo adapter?

Gidge buddy, are you sure about that? The hot pin on a mono TS connector is on the tip, which is the exact same size as the tip on a stereo TRS connector. How would it make contact with the TRS jack's tip and sleve pins (e.g. tip=left, ring=right)?

Slackmaster 2000

Back