help with my setup

injasonbow

Hi, at the moment i'm using a cheap SM-58 for all my micing needs (particularly vocal, as i record Beach Boys-esque material), i put this through a ZOOM RFX-1000 effects unit (for levels mainly) and that into the line in on my PC.. i also use synths and digital pianos to go straight in. I'm recording into Cakewalk Guitar Studio 2 (basically a slightly simpler SONAR). The takes i record lack a certain clarity heard in other friends home recordings. I'm wandering if maybe i need another soundcard (presently got a standard Soundblaster thing) a pre-amp? or a different mic (though i'd prefer to go for one of the other options).

note: any drums i record are usually sampled and done on a drum machine.

my recordings come out ok but i want them REALLY clear?
can anyone help? cheers

You have the answer already. Your sound card is poor but in my opinion not your weakest link. I beleive you need a pre-amp. The 58 would sound better through even a cheap behringer tube pre-amp for about $89. This will get your signal to line level. I wouldn't run through the effects unit if you get a pre-amp. Espcially don't record ANY effects.

A preamp will help, but you're not doing yourself any favours with the SB. That's a 16 bit card whereas a 'proper' audio card like the Audiophile 2496 will record at 24 bits. It also has far superior a/d and d/a converters

thanks for your help... i only use the effects thing for levels i assume if i have a preamp that wont be neccesary. so if i take this one step at a time would you advise i get the preamp firsT?

I think you have the right idea of going a step at a time. I also think that yes, getting a pre-amp is a good first step. You may be happy enough with the results and not really need anything else.... although that never happens. You always want more! Well, at least I do! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

13th_Omen said:
The 58 would sound better through even a cheap behringer tube pre-amp for about $89.

Anything that runs tubes from a wallwart and retails at $89 has "waste of cash" writen all over it. If you can avoid the behringer stuff at all costs. All you have to do is type in Behringer to the search facility and see how many bad posts you get back about inferior equipment, bad workmanship, lack of tech and customer support.

The Audiophile 2496 isn't a bad card. The DMP3 would be a much better investment as a mic pre, even the audio buddy is a huge step up from anything Behringer.

Alec.

Back