Help with my room!

12milluz

So the room I am using is now going to be "more than temporary," so I'd like to trap it properly. Here is a diagram of the room: (the ceiling is about 7ft tall)

Any help for where to put traps and such? Thanks!

what are those two things that look like dilapidated boobies on the lower left? :confused:

:D

I'd set up with my desk on the left...back to the long part of the room and trap the corners to start.

what instruments will be played in there?

what are those two things that look like dilapidated boobies on the lower left? :confused:

I'd set up with my desk on the left...back to the long part of the room and trap the corners to start.

Exactly. Then do all the basics (my standard list):

Your head should be placed 38% of the way into the room, centered between the left and right walls
Your head should also be located at the tip of an equilateral triangle with your speakers. Start at a 5’ width and go from there.
Use at least 4” bass trapping in all the corners, floor to ceiling if possible.
Use 4” or 6” bass traps on the back wall; the thicker the better basically.
Use 4” panels behind the speakers on the front wall
The reflection points to the right, left and above your head can be treated with either 2” or 4” panels. I prefer 4” panels personally; you can never really overdo bass trapping.
You can use diffusion on the right and left walls near the rear of the room, between your bass traps on the back wall or on the ceiling to the rear of your ceiling panels.

Frank

Sorry, those are doors:p- same with on the left.
My poor paint skills show...

Mostly guitar and possibly drums.

Exactly. Then do all the basics (my standard list):

Your head should be placed 38% of the way into the room, centered between the left and right walls
Your head should also be located at the tip of an equilateral triangle with your speakers. Start at a 5’ width and go from there.
Use at least 4” bass trapping in all the corners, floor to ceiling if possible.
Use 4” or 6” bass traps on the back wall; the thicker the better basically.
Use 4” panels behind the speakers on the front wall
The reflection points to the right, left and above your head can be treated with either 2” or 4” panels. I prefer 4” panels personally; you can never really overdo bass trapping.
You can use diffusion on the right and left walls near the rear of the room, between your bass traps on the back wall or on the ceiling to the rear of your ceiling panels.

Frank
Thanks for the advice. I can't really trap the corners where the closets are because (I forgot to draw them in the picture) the closet doors open into the room. While this cause a big issue?

Thanks for the advice. I can't really trap the corners where the closets are because (I forgot to draw them in the picture) the closet doors open into the room. While this cause a big issue?

Corners are where bass freqs tend to be worse. Maybe consider some stand alone traps that you can easily move. Like some good thick bastids, on a frame with feet.
Know what I mean?

I'd think that 2 closets, full of clothes with doors open, would act as somewhat of a bass trap but I doubt if it'd take care of the low frequencies that tend to be the most problematic.

I dunno....:drunk:

Portable traps would work...that would be the best idea I think. The only other thing you could do is skip those corners. Remember, there are 12 corners in a room, not four.

Frank

I made some portable traps by taking the seats off of some old rolling office chairs and bolting frames on them.

I also remember someone here posting pictures of a bass trap that they mounted in a corner with a door that would swing out of the way when you opened the door.

Back