Help with MM 2496 and Oxygen 8

RyanOD

OK, I just got a new Midiman 2496 soundcard and an Oxygen 8 MIDI controller. I installed Cakewalk Express to test everything out and I cannot get any input from the MIDI controller. My computer recognizes it and I can see that input is coming to the computer, but Cakewalk is giving me nothing.

I have connected my drum machine through the RCA jacks on the card and it works fine. I get input and I get output. No problems.

I have selected the proper MIDI inputs devices and as far as I can tell everything is set up correctly. I have been to the Midiman web site and followed their instructions with regards to Cakewalk Express.

THE ONE THING I HAVE NOTICED - the Midiman website mentions the fact that you have to click on the Windows volume control and mess with the MIDI balance sliders. I have no volume controls on my desktop. I reinstalled WIN98 and still. . .no volume controls. It seems to me it has always been there and now it is gone. Did Cakewalk or the Midiman drivers remove it??

I realize this is a very specific question to my very specific problem, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RyanOD

The MIDI volume is used when you are triggering midi sounds off of the synth chip on a sound card and that's not what you are doing is it?

How do you have your midi cables routed?

What I am trying to do is use the Oxygen midi controller to allow me to put down basic synth backing tracks. My understanding is that Cakewalk has some patches that work in conjunction with a controller (the Oxygen). In other words, the Oxygen and the patches would work together to allow me to add synths (or whatever other patch I choose) to my recordings.

There are two MIDI output jacks on the Oxygen controller. I have the "USB MIDI out" going to the MIDI in on the soundcard. I also have the actual USB cable going from the USB port on the Oxygen to the USB port on my computer.

In Cakewalk I have port 1 selected and I have the MIDI in selected as the first MIDI device.

Thanks for your help on this.

RyanOD

You may be confusing your computer with both of those cables. If midi is sent through the USB cable then I would disconnect the regular midi cable.

The Windows mixer dissapearing is weird. Make sure that in your Settings - Multimedia you have checked the box for "Mixer on Task Bar" or something like that. If they need you to turn up that volume than you probably have to. I am not familliar with Cakewalk Express so I dont know what they require. I wonder if it is trying to play the sounds off of a SoundBlaster card? Do you have one installed? If not Cakewalk would have to be using a softsynth so make sure that is installed or activated. Cakewalk needs something to 'play'.

Okay, so the controller can communicate with your computer either through the USB port OR the MIDI port?? I guess I figured it would have to communicate 'musically' through the MIDI port. I never gave much thought to what the USB connection was doing. Would it then be true that I would only have to connect the USB OR the MIDI??

As far as the Windows mixer goes, the "show volume control on the taskbar" choice is disabled in the multimedia menu. Something else I installed must have done that. I'll reformat and start over again.

With regards to what Cakewalk is 'playing', I thought Cakewalk Express had onboard patches the midi controller would be activating. Perhaps I am mistaken??

Thanks again,
RyanOD

Last edited:
With regards to what Cakewalk is 'playing', I thought Cakewalk Express had onboard patches the midi controller would be activating. Perhaps I am mistaken??

Very much mistaken. Cakewalk Express has no "onboard" patches. You need something to respond to the MIDI messages it sends out.

A MILLION THANKS!!! I will download a patch and give it a whirl. However, I am confused. When I click on 'Track Properties' in Cakewalk, it brings up the Track Properties window and when I click on patch, there are tons to choose from. What are those??

Back