Help with mixing! (New Member)

Tony Ali

Hey i started mixing about 2-3 months ago.. I am wondering what i could do to take my mixes to the next level or what could i do to better my mixes.. Ex. am i not compressing properly, Eq is not sounding good, Not enough reverb or too much, Etc...! I am currently using a Mbox 3 pro, AKG C214, YSM6 Monitors for mixing, Running through Pro Tools 8..! Here are two of my mixes.. thx

Attachments

• M.A.D.E- Rollin part 2.mp3
    9.2 MB · Views: 26
  • Sizzle- Run it back Master 2.mp3
    6.5 MB · Views: 8
Listened to Rollin (but just on my laptop at work) and it sounds ok so far.

What hardware you are using is not interesting, if it sounds good in the end, it is good no matter what speakers you used...

Exactly this questions you should be able to answer for yourself, cause you have ears. Compare to the radio tracks or cd tracks you hear and you will find out whats wrong in your mixes.

If you not compress with too much gainreduction or weird release settings (pumping) AND it sounds better after compression to your ears, it is probably right.
For vocals I use softknee setting and most of the time very long attack times. (50-100ms). Play with the release time, it is one of the most important values in setting the compressor.
Use the EQ to bring the vocals upfront (+ 4-6db at around 3-4kHz is kind of normal) and clean up your other tracks where needed. Sounds like you on the right track with that too.
Filter your reverb (under 500Hz and above 10000Hz) and try long pre-delay times (around 60-90ms).Ever tried to route your reverb back to another chorus or delay. Compress the reverb. Oh, and always calculate release and delay times.

Just some thoughts.

Might want to study a little more will get you more answers than any forum then you can go from there. Bobby Owinskis Handbook for mixing and the secret to home studios mixing and recording. Will save you time and money from buying stuff you think you need.

Buying music production equipment without knowing basics is like buying a device and trying to use it before reading the instructions. Just 10 times more costly and time consuming.

sounds good im a beginner too. but i cant make no bangers yet idk how to make it sound that good yet. if you go to my soundcloud u will see were im at haha it sounds good but i like your shit. you how sumthin unique about it i cant figure out https://soundcloud.com/raychaun44
Learn the techniques & tools first and your ability to make bangers will come and come alot faster and you will be ahead of the curve and ahead of most engineers who skipped the basics

Not bad at all for mixing for a few months. The best thing to do when starting out is to constantly compare the mix you're working on to mixes that you dig. Buy the full quality files (*gasp!* not .mp3's?!) of your favorite artists and pull them into your session. Get the overall volume between your track and your reference tracks the same and then A/B endlessly back and forth.
Listen for overall balances ("their kick is louder than mine" etc.). Listen for EQ stuff ("My mix has too much low end compared to theirs", etc.). Listen for width, depth, etc, etc.

Keep comparing and keep tweaking. It's a horrible, horrible process that makes you want to slam your head through a wall, but it helps a ton. And the hardest part of all: never allow yourself to make excuses for why your mixes aren't up to snuff. Never say "Ah, well if I had their gear, my mixes would be just as good." That's a cop out and won't help you at all.

Hope this helps!
-jeffro

Back