Help with mid's missing

joko38

Hey guy's,

Wondering if you can shead some light on this matter:

When I mix, I can hear everything very clearly in my room on the NS-10's and on my JBL 4410a's. But what I'm experiencing is a congested mix when played on other system. What I did for a test was put an eq at the end of my mix with a hill like curve on the mids and all of a sudden the mix comes to life.

Why is this? My meters are reading good, is it that I need more room treatment?

What do you do to combat this. Once I put an eq at the end of the mix with some mid range it was amazing how good the song sounded. I'm not sure why I need to do this.

Thanks for your help.

Hey guy's,

Wondering if you can shead some light on this matter:

When I mix, I can hear everything very clearly in my room on the NS-10's and on my JBL 4410a's. But what I'm experiencing is a congested mix when played on other system. What I did for a test was put an eq at the end of my mix with a hill like curve on the mids and all of a sudden the mix comes to life.

Why is this? My meters are reading good, is it that I need more room treatment?

What do you do to combat this. Once I put an eq at the end of the mix with some mid range it was amazing how good the song sounded. I'm not sure why I need to do this.

Thanks for your help.

Are you mixing at high volume levels? Everything sounds distinct when it's louder...up to a point. Then when you play the mix back at normal listening levels, it's mush.

I try to mix everything at around 75 to 80 db. Sometimes I mix with the audio so low that it is almost inaudible. I never mix at high volumes.

Thanks.

you can't mix and eq based on what your meters are telling you. It's just a aid ...... but ultimately your ears decide.
Sounds like you're mixing to a 'scooped' eq which is pretty common. But, as I said in another forum, I'd want to hear before and after clips before I'd have an opinion.
You can upload files at the other site.

I don't have any experience with the JBL's, but having worked with NS 10's for many years, they will over represent the upper mids when mixing. That being said, I never had a problem with a mix translating when I used them. If anything, the bottom end was more problematic.:confused:
Aside from the room, I'm at a loss. What frequencies, specifically, are you boosting?

Sometimes I mix with the audio so low that it is almost inaudible.
Thanks.
That's not a good idea. Speakers have a 'sweet spot' volume wise and too low and they are not linear and too high and the same.
If you mix super soft ...... then the bottom end is gonna be disproportionately low so you're gonna crank it up to try and get enough lows. When played back at higher volumes .... you end up with too much bass which is one end of the 'scooped' sound you're getting.

you can't mix and eq based on what your meters are telling you. It's just a aid ...... but ultimately your ears decide.
Sounds like you're mixing to a 'scooped' eq which is pretty common. But, as I said in another forum, I'd want to hear before and after clips before I'd have an opinion.
You can upload files at the other site.

^^^^This^^^^^

Back