Help with MIDI ; yamaha keyboard

tweedledee said:
there is no port in or out on my keyboard other than usb and headphone jack.
usb is for midi. Midi is information, not audio. You need an audio cable. Here is a link to some cables radio shack

If you have a radio shack nearby, just go there. Tell them you have a headphone jack. You will need one end to be a quarter inch ( 1/4") headphone jack. The other end will be TWO quarter inch jacks for stereo. Its simple, just head to radio shack with about 10 bucks and they will hook you up.

DavidK said:
usb is for midi. Midi is information, not audio. You need an audio cable. Here is a link to some cables radio shack

If you have a radio shack nearby, just go there. Tell them you have a headphone jack. You will need one end to be a quarter inch ( 1/4") headphone jack. The other end will be TWO quarter inch jacks for stereo. Its simple, just head to radio shack with about 10 bucks and they will hook you up.
AWSOME! you rock completely! i mightve spend hundred of dollars on equitment i didn't need. thanx so much.

tweedledee said:
i mightve spend hundred of dollars
In that case, my help comes at a price, you owe me $200. Mail the check to DavidK in OHIO :D :D :D

You should be all set. Warning: Cubase LE is not easy to learn. Be prepared to do some manual reading. All you need is the basics. Midi isnt that hard, but its more of a concept then anything else. Once you "get it" there isnt much it cant do. Good luck!

On my Yamaha Portable Grand DGX-203, there are two outputs on the back to use...phones/outputs which is the size of a guitar output jack(the one I use)....and then a square USB output. I have never used the USB/MiDI yet.

I have a Lexicon Omega with Cubase LE and yah..it is taking me a bit to learn it all...mostly because I am Manual retarded.

My Lexi has an instrument output on the front, where I run my Yamaha into when I record it. I use one of my guitar cables. Is that a no no...? I don't use the headphone jack for anything other than headphones. I don't know about any of the other interfaces on this point though.

About the Cubase LE....go to the Cubase Forum and find the thread by Travisinflorida.(two actually) It is a great Tutorial(s)! I will go and bump it/them up towards the top of the page in a minute. He explains it in more of layman terms. I think this would help you a lot.

Good Luck!...Cubase Tutorial AND Cubase Tutorial

True :)

true-eurt said:
On my Yamaha Portable Grand DGX-203, there are two outputs on the back to use...phones/outputs which is the size of a guitar output jack(the one I use)....and then a square USB output. I have never used the USB/MiDI yet.

I have a Lexicon Omega with Cubase LE and yah..it is taking me a bit to learn it all...mostly because I am Manual retarded.

My Lexi has an instrument output on the front, where I run my Yamaha into when I record it. I use one of my guitar cables. Is that a no no...? I don't use the headphone jack for anything other than headphones. I don't know about any of the other interfaces on this point though.

About the Cubase LE....go to the Cubase Forum and find the thread by Travisinflorida.(two actually) It is a great Tutorial(s)! I will go and bump it/them up towards the top of the page in a minute. He explains it in more of layman terms. I think this would help you a lot.

ui am so glad to have found soemoen else with a similar keyboard who can kelp me with this. thanx so much. i cannot wait to get started.

DavidK said:
In that case, my help comes at a price, you owe me $200. Mail the check to DavidK in OHIO :D :D :D

You should be all set. Warning: Cubase LE is not easy to learn. Be prepared to do some manual reading. All you need is the basics. Midi isnt that hard, but its more of a concept then anything else. Once you "get it" there isnt much it cant do. Good luck!
uh ph...i stink with manuals.....i think i'll be needing your guidance again one it arirves.stand by....ya know you're pretty cool for a democrat....tee hee.

true-eurt said:

waaaait i am confused. how are you running the yamaha into the interface without using the headphone jack? you said it only has phoen jack and usb and you don't use the usb and only use the headophone jack for headophones so how do you record?

tweedledee said:
waaaait i am confused. how are you running the yamaha into the interface without using the headphone jack? you said it only has phoen jack and usb and you don't use the usb and only use the headophone jack for headophones so how do you record?
I am confused too.

Tweedle, what make and model number is your Yamaha?

DavidK said:
I am confused too.

Tweedle, what make and model number is your Yamaha?
i have a portable grand dgx-220. it is the same series as true. she described it as having the same jacks as mine has yet she sais she doesn't use either to connect it to the interface so i was wondering how she does connect it

altitude909 said:
I think that explains which port he uses well, where is the confusion?
1. True is a "She", so you're confused right there. :D :D

2. This is the confusion

I don't use the headphone jack for anything other than headphones.

I am not sure what this means.

tweedledee said:
I said the lexi had an instrument input on the front...My Yamaha has one of each...Sustain pedal jack...AC/DC jack...USB jack...Headphone/instrument jack. I think this is where the confusion came in. You thought I was talking about the Yamaha, concerning the headphone/instrument jack, and I thought you were talking about an interface. Sorry for the confusion guys.
DavidK said:

2. This is the confusion

:D :D :D

Hey David...on the back of my lexicon-omega, along with the 4 mic and 2 midi jacks...there are 4 instrument jacks on back too and phantom power.

On the front of the interface is one instrument jack in front...and one headphone jack.

So I have never plugged any of my instruments into the headphone jack. Am I confused about this or doing something wrong myself? Here is a link to the Lexi...PICTURE OF LEXICON OMEGA

Last edited:
Oooooooooh. I get it, you dont use the LEXICON headphone jack, but you use the YAMAHA headphone jack. Got it, yes thats correct. :cool:

where in the front is it ? i will check my keyboard again though i am prety sure i didn't see one.

just checked. pretty sure therre is no instrument port on my instrument. i am praying the headphone this will still work.

DavidK said:
Oooooooooh. I get it, you dont use the LEXICON headphone jack, but you use the YAMAHA headphone jack. Got it, yes thats correct. :cool:
I guess I was confusing you two. :)

Tweedle, I was talking about the interface. The Yamaha headphone/instrument port is on the back. I explained our confusion above...sorry.

But yes...the headphone/instrument port on the Yamaha will work as David said.

Just run a cable from it to your interface and plug into instrument jack. :)

You will then plug your headphones(if needed) into the interface headphone jack.

true-eurt said:
No, I was talking about the interface. The yamaha headphone/instrument port is on the back. I explained our confusion above...sorry. :)
oh. so i DO use the headphone jack on the yamaha. and youg et good results with it?
i am so excited. now i am gonna take piano lessonsd this summer because the fiddling i have been doing i realize, i not nearly good enough for a pro sounding arrangement. just som theory and accompaniment lesson. but this is gonna be fun....thanx for the help everyone....what's the name of the cable. i am not really sure what to eb asking for. i have a sorta mental imag but i don't wanna walk into a store and sound like an idiot.

You can go more high dollar with your cables, if you can afford it...they have some lower priced ones too.....here is a link for an actual keyboard cable...KEYBOARD CABLES

Or use a good quality guitar cord, if you already have that....which can run the same as the above...I shamelessly use a guitar cord at the moment...not a high quality one at that!!

Here are some USB cords too...USB CABLES

Hope this helps you

DavidK said:

2. This is the confusion

:D Learn something new everyday.. and to think I was pretty much convinced that HRC is a sausage festival

true-eurt said:
You can go more high dollar with your cables, if you can afford it...they have some lower priced ones too.....here is a link for an actual keyboard cable...KEYBOARD CABLES

Or use a good quality guitar cord, if you already have that....which can run the same as the above...I shamelessly use a guitar cord at the moment...not a high quality one at that!!

Here are some USB cords too...USB CABLES

Hope this helps you

nah. i don't play guitar. thanx for the link to the cables. the one you linked me to is high dollar or low dollar/ and what is the dofference in the sound produced? and what size cable should i ask for?

so my gera arrived today except that my brother inlaw still hasn't modified t]my computer for the firewire. lemme ask you. is there anyway to record with the mixer ect, analog way,wihout plugging it inot my computer? just so i can get started?

Back