Help with MIDI recording

mista doe

What up.. i got a Yamaha Keyboard hooked up to my PC via MIDI/Joystick cables.. i got Soundforge, Cool edit and Fruityloops which i know can record from my keyboard.. but i have no clue on setting this up.. Can some one please explain to me step by step instructions on how to start recording from my keyboard .... thankyou

Your midi interface jumper cable should have 2 short jumpers marked one in and one out. The in cable should be tied to your keyboard out and midi out tied to midi in of keyboard which basically creates a loop. When you touch a note on the keys it will transmit data to the soundcard which you can record. When you play back the midi track you can assign it to output data to your keys or to use the internal soundbank soundfonts on the card. This is the basic concept.

Ok. thanks for the tips.. i know how to hook up the keyboard.. im not a moron.. the problem which u still left unexplained is HOW TO GET THE NOTES I PLAY ON MY KEYBOARD RECORDED INTO A SOUND PROGRAM.. but thanks anyway.. ps

download a free drum kit.. at www.nocturnalrecords.com

Cool Edit and Sound Forge don't handle midi on their own.
Fruity-Loops can do midi, I don't use it much anymore though, so I am not sure how you would go about playing the keys and just recording them to fruity. You could progam fruityloops to play back sounds on the keyboard by having the step sequencer send the notes out via midi to the keyboard.
CEP and Sound Forge also sync to midi I believe, so that you can just hit record and they will trigger the midi sequence to begin.

This is too much info though, to answer your question simply... you need to hook up the audio to record audio with either CEP or Sound Forge.

Back