Help with mic array for live recording plz...

isfahani

Disciple of Wong Jing
I am going to record my friends in an Arabic classical ensemble during a theatre show here tomorrow &/or Saturday nights, and I just found out that I may not be able to jack into the board.

There's so much 'verb from the room that simply using an H2 and getting a 'stereo' audience recording is a waste of time, so I was wondering what the 'best' way of micing the stage up from the front of it would be with my three trusty MK 012's...

There will be 6-8 players lined up in a row on a short riser, said riser is usually backed up against a wall, or maybe leaving a walk space behind it.

I was thinking of either using two with the omni capsules, each placed at the "1/3 in from the sides of the stage in front of the band" position, or maybe using three mics with the cardioid caps: left, right and center, phasing be damned.

I dunno, though, I wasn't planning on just micing the stage to cover the whole thing, I was going to shoot for a 'matrix' :eek:

Spaced pair

isfahani,

Using two omnis as you describe is called a spaced pair and is a good way of making stereo recordings of an ensemble.

Recording with a cardiod pattern mic as a center channel will give you less room and a focus on the center of the stage.

Pan the omnis right and left and balance them out. Then bring up the center channel to control separation and ambience.

Another standard option with two mics would be two cardiods in an x-y pair.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

What instruments?

1 "Doumbek", 1 "Riq" (Arabic Tambourine), 2 Violins, 1 "Qanun" (plucked Zither) 1 "Oud" (Fretless Lute), 1 Yayli Tanbur, 1 "Nay" (Arabic Flute). Unfortunately no double bass or cello this time!

I am probably going with the modified decca tree, but what about an AT822 stereo x/y in the middle and then the omni's on the sides? Also, I found out that the percussions are stage right... but I don't want to have it end up that way in the final mix, so would 3 cardioid's - or two on the sides with the stereo x/y in the middle - spaced across the front create that much of a phasing problem?

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions...

Also, I found out that the percussions are stage right... but I don't want to have it end up that way in the final mix, so would 3 cardioid's - or two on the sides with the stereo x/y in the middle - spaced across the front create that much of a phasing problem?

I am not too familiar with Arabic music, but I'm guessing what you have just written is akin to say that in a Western orchestra, the basses are all stage left, and you don't want it to end up that way in the final mix, so you want to close mic them and pan that mic dead center . . . which just ain't the way it's done.

Consider side mics as what they are, spot mics, and use them judiciously, sparingly, and perhaps when you get to the final mix, not at all. If you don't get the main pair/tree in the right place, any other mics you add will just be a band-aid on a sucking chest wound. Don't try to fight the natural staging of the instruments by panning spot mics where they don't belong.

The alternative is to close mic everything and try to create your own mix. You can do that, but it won't sound like an orchestra in a space, it will sound like a multitracked studio production.

I don't know what you mean by 'matrix'. Usually that term applies to a mic technique such as ambisonic or MS that is later decoded into a different format (stereo, surround, etc.) Using a bunch of spaced cardioids is not a matrix, those are spot mics, or if they are in the farfield, yes, a potential phase alignment nightmare.

lol yah, I am kind of grasping here, because I don't know if I will be able to get any board send at all, so I need contingency plans. I hear ya though. The soundguy wasn't there last night when I went to find out what was up, so I really don't know what I will be able to rig up 'til I get there.

'Matrix' in the taper's world usually refers to some combination of room mics and a board send.

Back