Help with Keyboard Noises

Frankmatsch

Hello everyone, I am getting a bit frustrated with my life at the moment because of my keyboard being very loud. I am using the blue bluebird to record my voice for YouTube gaming videos. The microphone is on a table stand which is not attached to the table the keyboard is on, has a second pop filter and goes into the focusrite scarlett 2i2 - Scarlett 2i2 | Focusrite. I have tried eating the mic but usually I am like 20cm (8inches) away from it. Ideally I want the clicks to not be hear able. I know I can cut them out, use noise gates and stuff like that but I am never happy with the result. I tried positioning the keyboard behind the mic and played around with different microphone positions, gain settings and all of that. I also put a cardboard box above the keyboard with like 5 towels on top and even that just muffled the strokes of the keyboard but did not eliminate them. What I want is to be able to play whatever game (so smashing my keys) and not hear the clicks at all - let´s just say I would mute the game sound. I know a dynamic mic might be better for me but I am sure I can make it work with the bluebird just have to optimize some stuff. The keyboard I am using is (funny huh) the matias quiet pro - the world´s quietest mechanic keyboard - Matias Quiet Pro Keyboard for PC... I would like to keep using a mechanical keyboard (even though that is my problem) because I enjoy gaming with it. Would greatly appreciate help on how to deal with this issue. As of right now I am just manually cutting clicks out and deleting all silence, which works but is very time consuming. I am aware that I could use a noise gate but that does not fix that you can hear my keyboard during me talking. Couple questions I have: I reduced the gain to try to lower the sensitivity of the microphone. Afterwards in Audacity I would use Amplify and it would be like +30db and the clicks would be as loud as with higher gain and Amplify +15db. I know gain does not equal sensitivity but is there a difference of the two ways? Also would me upgrading to the Cherry MX Silent help my problem- STRAFE RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — Cherry MX Silent. I feel like that the way to tackle this problem is probably a mix of somehow lowering the volume of the clicks (towels, quieter keyboard etc.) and some effects during editing. I do not really know a lot about audio (mostly just reading and trying to learn that way) so some tips on what to do during post production would be amazing. I usually use Audacity to record my voice and for some basic stuff. Does this make sense? 1. Amplify -> 2. EQ -> 3. Compressor -> 4. Noise Reduction. Afterwards I drop the file into Izotope RX 5 and just let that remove the rest of the noise/hum + de-click and gain +2b. I also own Adobe Audition. Hopefully my English was good enough to explain my issue (I am from Germany) and I gave you enough information to help me out. I have spend a lot of money on trying to have "good audio" and as of right now I am not satisfied. I am willing to buy a new keyboard (could spend like 300+) maybe a non mechanical one if you feel like that would fix everything. If so any suggestions? Also since this might be tough to explain and time consuming for everybody, I would not mind discussing this on Skype if you feel like you know how to help me out. Thank you for taking time out of your day to help a random guy out, appreciate it! :)

Last edited:
A dynamic headset mic would be my choice, with at least a cardioid pattern, super or hyper would be best. a condenser mic is always going to pick up anything around it, no way around it. a condenser would be my last choice for you application. Gates are one option but tricky to use, below is another option, it is a gate connected inline with the mic and works off a optical sensor. But if the mic is open while you are talking you will have the same issue.

Optogate.com

Thank you for your help. I really like the way the bluebird sounds so I am going to try to somehow get it to work. A big YouTuber called https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatMumboJumbo is using the same mic and the same pre amp and he has amazing quality (+ no keyboard sounds) so there has to be a way to make it work. In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tiv9qWJVoc you can see his set up at 2:56 (same as me with his mic positioning and distance) but he has one of those flat keyboards. Maybe I just need to get one of those. If someone knows anything about keyboards and can suggest a nice quite one would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you for your help. I really like the way the bluebird sounds so I am going to try to somehow get it to work. A big YouTuber called https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatMumboJumbo is using the same mic and the same pre amp and he has amazing quality (+ no keyboard sounds) so there has to be a way to make it work. In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tiv9qWJVoc you can see his set up at 2:56 (same as me with his mic positioning and distance) but he has one of those flat keyboards. Maybe I just need to get one of those. If someone knows anything about keyboards and can suggest a nice quite one would be greatly appreciated! :)

Ask him, all he can say is no.:laughings:

Ask him, all he can say is no.:laughings:

I can try. I do not think just owning the same keyboard is going to fix all my problems but it is probably a step in the right direction. If the noise of my keyboard is quieter, it would make it easier to remove with gates and stuff like that. I do not know, mostly just a lot of assumptions here. Maybe some one real smart is going to drop some knowledge bombs soonish! :D

There are three areas you can address:

1 Talk louder. Maximing the signal (your talking) to noise (your keyboard) ratio helps.
2 Pick the right mike. An omni-directional condenser will pick up more unwanted stuff than a cardiod headset mike close to your mouth.
3 Type quieter. Either don't bang so hard, or get a quieter keyboard.

If you persist with your existing set up, you will get the same results . . . so you need to do something different.

Any tips on how to soften/get rid of the clicks (if they are quite but still hear able) during editing? Like what effects would do that? I guess a noise gate for the silence parts but any way to get rid of it while I am talking.

Have you tried putting the keyboard on a (hard cell) foam pad; decoupling it from the surface it's on?

It could be that the mic is picking up vibrations traveling from your keyboard, though the desk it's on, into the floor and back up the desk that the mic is on - as well as the sound of the keys themselves.
You could also try acoustically treating your room in a bid to contain high-end 'clicky' noise...
Other than that - gain down and mic closer to your mouth (boom arm & cradle maybe) or a broadcast quality dynamic...

Back