Help with J-Station

xalien

Please help me!

I recently bought a J-Station and it's been cool. However, I just tried to update to the newest software using the J-Updater app and I get this:

Trying to connect to the J-Station
Connected to the J-Station
Clearing the display
Target initialized
Starting the download
Erase is done
Sending at Addr: 02000h
Bad incoming Sysx msg, expected ID=45h, found ID=71h, BCnt= 10, Err=6h
Received Sysx Data: 10 Bytes
F0h,00h,00h,10h,00h,53h,7Fh,
71h,01h,
F7h

Now my J-Station is hosed and won't work at all. Anyone seen anything like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Steve

Woa! Nothing works anymore? Not even the presets? I've updated mine twice now and I've never had anything like that happen. Sounds like you need to get in touch with Johnson amps and get the lash after them.

Yeah, I've already sent mail to johnson tech support, but haven't gotten an answer yet. I was hoping someone else had worked through a similar problem. If anyone else has any experience with this please let me know!

It usually takes a couple of days before they get back to you.

They're not real fast nor real competent, but they might get this worked out for you.

I never had a problem like this with upgrading mine, so I can't be of much help.

Good luck!

Did you update the J editor/updater software on your computer first?
If I remember right,you have to do that before you can upgrade the firmware on the unit.

Mabey you should download the update again,something might have gotten screwed up coming across.

Hope this helps,
Pete

Yeah, I updated to the newest J-Edit/J-Updater software (2.0). I even updated the drivers for my soundcard (just in case there was some odd thing with the MIDI connection). Still no luck.

Arg. I was really starting to like this thing.

Anyone know how I can test if my MIDI connection is working right (I don't have any MIDI instruments).

No, I hadn't tried the factory reset. That seemed like a great idea. However, I just tried it and no dice. The firmware is so trashed that I can't get it to do the reset proceedure. Drat. I'm afraid this puppy may have to go back to the store. :-(

And the story has a happy ending!!!

Well, I was "this close" to giving up in desperation. I'd tried everything I could think of. I'd sent email to tech support at Johnson and got no reply and I'd tried every tick in the FAQ. So, this morning I got on the phone, called Utah (the home of Johnson Amplification according to the manual) and ask to speak with someone who knew something about the J-Station.

They quickly hooked me up with a friendly guy named Dean. After chatting for a while and exhanging some email he told me my MIDI interface sucked and I really should get a new one (note I was using the Joystick port off my crappy stock soundcard as a MIDI interface).

This evening I drove down to Guitar Center and I let the nice salesman sell me a new Midiman 2x2 USB MIDI interface. It works like a CHAMP!!!! I hooked it up to my J-Station and the new software downloaded first try. No muss, no fuss!

Well, it sounds great now (better than before the software upgrade, which was the whole point!!!!!!!). Now the next step is to start playing with J-Edit to see if I can create that killer preset I'm after.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post.

-Steve

Back