Help with interface for Mac

m98ter

My band is currently looking for an interface to record some demo's, and considering I'm the only one who even remotely knows anything about it I get to pick it out.

We have a brand new Macbook, and about $200 to spend on an interface. We don't really need an interface with more than two inputs, but I really liked the idea of one with four so we could do live recordings (my band is a three pc. with a singer)..which I why I'm looking at the Lexicon Omega...but now I hear USB sucks compared to firewire?

I also really liked the looks of Alesis's 8 Channel USB Mixers (if nothing else for the fact that I think we would use it outside of recording), but I don't even know if they'll work with a Mac? We've used a Tascam 122 before, and it was pretty nifty...but I think for $200 we can get something better.

Basically what it comes down to is this.....

-We have a Macbook (Which I believe has Firewire too)
-We have $200
-We would probably never considering using Midi tracks or software instruments
-I love Garageband considering how well I know it, and wouldn't mind an interface that allows me to keep using it...even though I know everyone else hates it...theres always a chance I'd switch to some included software, I'd just rather have a good interface than great software...
-We also probably would rarely touch this interface after our cheap demo is finished, so I'm not really looking for something I'm going to be using every day or that has a steep learing curve
-Basically I think I'm looking for a software/computer equivalent of an old Tascam Portastudio...something easy...but the best quality we can get for $200.

Thanks for any help...really appreciated.

...I just found a deal online for an Alesis Multimixer 8 Firewire for $200...that seems pretty darn cheap for what it does. Garageband capability or not..

I decided on an Alesis Multimix 12 Firewire even though it was a $100 over what we had. Seemed like it would be a good choice considering my band is also shopping for a PA...so hopefully it will serve dual purpose duties. Hope I don't kick myself.....

Back