Help with HD speed/external HD

lyricist

I was told awhile back on here that instead of recording on the internal HD, that I should record directly onto an external HD

I thought it was a great idea esp if my computer ever crashed I would have all my songs on the external HD.

While looking for a laptop and trying to decide the perfect specs I noticed that HD's have speed. the fast one is 7200rpm.

I got to thinking- HOW do I record directly onto the external HD, first of all?? Does my recording program need to be installed in the external HD??

Now after that question.. If I am going to be recording directly into the external HD, does my internal HD need to be at 7200rpm? or is 5400rpm alright??

I will 98% surely be purchasing this laptop. If not then probably the dell inspiron 9300. But ive heard nothing bit good reviews about Sager.

Thanks!

Bump. come on someone!! is this question why i still havent bought a laptop.i dont want to get the wrong thing.

please help me.

hi @ desperation

Since most internal laptop drives are less than 7200RPM (the laptop you linked to seems to be 5400RPM), you'll want to use an external drive hooked up via Firewire (preferable) or USB2 (NOTE - NOT USB1 or it will suck big time). OK, it seems like your laptop has firewire (IEEE1394) so you're good there.

You record to the external drive by specifying in your recording program where you want new files to go. In N-Track, if I save the session file before recording, it will put the wave files in the same directory as the session file, so I just have to make sure to save the session file to whatever drive/directory I want the wave files to go to. I'm sure other software works in a similar matter.

Thanks!

actually the sager is a gaming notebook so it is built on speed. standard you get a 5400rpm but it has options to change each one to a 7200rpm for some extra cash, of course

about choosing where the recorded file goes... is that only if you are recording in audio?

because with FLstudio(I understand is a totally different, crap, software) I would do some stuff with midi then at the end I would save it.

so it wasnt like it was like recording being streamed into a directory of your choice.

with my cd ripper it was like that though, it would ask which destination i wanted it ripped into.

or do you just simply mean i would record the stuff on the program, then at the end go to "save to:" and choose my destination??
:confused:

For audio files I believe that either speed is fast enough. But I do tend to see most external drives at 7200. I think recording to the internal drive is fine and maybe get an external for backing up ALL important files, not just audio.

Someone on another board said both should be 7200rpm (ext/int) but i think that is just personal preference.

i can get a much larger internal HD to store all of my software if i go with the 5400.

But does 5400/7200 affect the quickness of how programs open?? or is that solely the RAM?? i was under the impression it was a RAM issue so was ordering my laptop as a 1 gig of ram. does HD speed affect this??

and hopefully someone can answer my question on how exactly to record to an external ram(eg.. do i do the recording on the software i have loaded on the internal then when i go to "save as" save it into the external..) ?

thanks a bunch

Back