Help with Filters, Parametric, Dynamics

cheetah23

Until now, I would usually just fiddle around with the filters, parametric eq and dynamics until I got something that sounded half-decent. Can anyone direct me to a site(s) that can actually explain in detail how these things work. The cool edit manual gives some theorectical explanation, but nothing too practical.

cheetah. cools filters are very sophisticated.
particularly in the hands of top notch mastering engineers with excellent convertors in the sound card and monitoring.
but misuse could really screw a track up as they are so flexible.
the best thing you could do is get a frequency chart showing how various instruments fit in the audio spectrum. this will give you a btter clue on the usage of filters. also NOTe...old rule. better to cut eq often than boost.

Every filter, every EQ device (graphic or parametric), and every "dynamic" control in this software is just some form of volume adjustment. Filters are usually used to hack off extreme low end and/or extreme high end. (i.e., reducing the volume of frequencies that people don't hear very well), parametric EQ's just increase or decrease the volume of frequencies that people DO hear, and "dynamic" controls just turn stuff up and/or down, usually both...turns up quiet parts and attenuates louder parts so that the end result has a narrower dynamic range (i.e., it's compressed).

That's recording 101 stuff. Now, if you're asking how the actual controls work, they pretty much work in CEP/AA as they do everywhere else. Maybe if you had a specific question I could be more helpful, but the way you've asked it is kind of like asking "how do I mix?", lol. I'm the last guy on the planet who needs to be answering THAT question. :D

Actually, I basically asked, "where do I GO to find out how to use these tools." effectively making me the last guy on the planet to ask YOU how to mix.

As for recording 101 stuff: that's the theoretical stuff that cooledit already explained to me. Thanks anyway.

You answer is in the theoretical stuff. If you understand what these things do and you know what you are trying to accomplish, you automaticly know how to use them.
What part of the theoretical stuff don't you understand?

I mean it's easy to explain in a paragraph what each of these controls do- I can do that- but I'm having trouble actually APPLYING them properly. Basically Manning brought some light to the situation when he told me to find frequency charts. I can probably figure the rest out.

P.S. the more you know about something, the more there is to know.

You are having trouble identifying what to do instead of how to do. With EQ it is helpful sometimes to set a very narrow Q and boost about 12db then sweep the frequency control until you hear what you don't like. After you have identified the offending frequency, do the proper cut of that frequency. It sounds a little better most of the time if you open the Q a little once you have found what you are looking for.
A lot of this is trial and error until you learn to associate what you are hearing to the numbers on the dials.

Farview,

That was an extremely helpful suggestion. And, you are right, my problem is in the identification of what needs to be done, rather than the actual process of doing it. Thanks a lot !!

Like you've figured out, it's one thing to know what all the knobs and buttons do, and it's another thing entirely to apply that knowledge in an intelligent way so that you actually improve the sound you're working with.

I've found two things invaluable in learning how to apply recording and editing tools: first, experiment and tweaking and just keeping at it and listening and listening and listening; second, good books and articles written by people who can give you useful places to begin. That's why I posted the link to that website above - there are a lot of articles there which not only tell you the differences between parametric and graphic EQ, but which also tell you useful ways to start to use them for this or that application.

cheetah23 said:
Actually, I basically asked, "where do I GO to find out how to use these tools." effectively making me the last guy on the planet to ask YOU how to mix.

As for recording 101 stuff: that's the theoretical stuff that cooledit already explained to me. Thanks anyway.

HaHaHa!!! chrisharris burned. lol. :D

I do Farview's thing with the 30band EQ and do recon for offensive freq.
And try not to over-do anything.

Roktuk said:
HaHaHa!!! chrisharris burned. lol. :D
Yeah, I actually wasn't sure, but the initial question was so fucking confusing that I just decided maybe English is like a 3rd language in this thread. Sorry for trying to help, lmao...won't happen again.

cheetah23 said:
I mean it's easy to explain in a paragraph what each of these controls do- I can do that- but I'm having trouble actually APPLYING them properly.
Yeah...that's called "mixing." ...... (101) :D

cheetah23 said:
Farview,

That was an extremely helpful suggestion. And, you are right, my problem is in the identification of what needs to be done, rather than the actual process of doing it. Thanks a lot !!

Your gonna have to answer these questions yourself by reading books and practicing. Online discussion is only gonna get you so far, and online readings vary so widely it can get confusing. You're gonna have to pay to get clear consise answers.

Try the book "Mixing With Your Mind" by Michael Stavrou, it'll answer all your questions.

Jesus Christ!!!

I didn't know that, besides being a discussion board, this is also "ego 101." My initial question was so straightforward and simple that I'm thinking maybe that's where the problem lies. It was TOO damn simple. TOO straight forward. In our increasingly complex society, I guess some of us have lost touch with simplicity. I dunno... It's pretty weird. All I asked was if someone knew of a website with information on filters, dynamics, and parametrics. And some people did. I didn't know other people would go crazy over it. Sorry. Seriously though, it's weird that people act this way.

P.S. ChrisHarris, I realize now that I accidentally put a "c" in theoretical. Try reading my question again, but this time pretend that the extra "c" isn't there. Hopefully, you'll understand the question this time

Oh, calm down. There's no ego stuff going on, just standard internet misunderstanding. Harmless, really.

cheetah23 said:
P.S. ChrisHarris, I realize now that I accidentally put a "c" in theoretical. Try reading my question again, but this time pretend that the extra "c" isn't there. Hopefully, you'll understand the question this time
Or, just quit being a dick and go to the mixing forum. You'll find all kinds of useful informational gems like "boost a snare at 500Hz for more body" and "12K on a vocal for air." Do you even have a CEP related question? I'm all ears, baby.

Back