Help with figuring out why some of my sounds I like and some not...

achase4u

Hey all.

Ive been at recording for a few years, really trying to learn the art. I realize performance and a good sounding instrument and arrangement are the more important - as I do get hung up on FX and gear sometimes ....

but I cant figure why some things just go together well and others dont. I think this is what makes a good engineer - making the good recordings happen all the time.

I am familiar with what type of mics do what, and how to place them etc... it just seems sometimes it works and other times not.

How do you guys gain the knowledge to get each project just right?

Its funny to me how sometimes all you have to do is set one of your not so expensive mics(or two) in front of something to get a great sound.

Heres a for instance - Ive been working on this tune for a long time. Beware its Christmas music so dont listen if youll be bothered this time of year ;-)

Ive mixed for eternity and it just doesnt sound like I want it to. I was going for an old RVG sort of thing but cant get the "space" around the instruments that I want... it just sounds kinda weird to me...

let it snow

Here are two examples of recorded sounds I really like. Ironically they have no FX on them. One is me on guitar, the other my grandmother on piano(she is 85) - its a very old baby grand that I really like...

I believe both of those are recorded with an Avantone CK1 and Rode NT1A combo.

Piano

acoustic guitar

Hey all.
Ive mixed for eternity and it just doesnt sound like I want it to. I was going for an old RVG sort of thing but cant get the "space" around the instruments that I want... it just sounds kinda weird to me...

let it snow
Hi!
I think this sounds pretty good BUT if you want to know what sounds wierd to me - drums. Kick drum sounds like coming out from a rock song and overall kit is missing some clarity. While other thing sound like they were recorded at studio, drums sound like you are using your living room.

Let it snow sounds like the guitar was DI-ed, while the other instruments were recorded with a room mic. It's all about making your mixes come together.

Thanks for the listens!

I agree - My basement sounds bleh. My family room actually doesnt sound too bad - I just hate lugging my drums up there... I actually recorded the bass far away with a fathead II in the living room(not as good as family room)

The guitar does sound kinda DI. I was reaching for that RVG thing - the Burrell album Midnight Blue has such a close mic type of sound to it to me, with that trail of verb... maybe theres more space than I realize - but I have noticed RVG would mic the featured instrument closer than all the rest - I like the "apartment" recording sound for jazz...

So is my drum kit not right for jazz? Should I take all the sustain killing stuff out of the kick drum and tune it a little higher?

I like 1-2 mic sounds and I only have 2 inputs - Ive experimented allot with mic positions but you can only do so much with two mics in a bad sounding basement. I guess I would have to use them as a couple overheads that were close to not pick up the room...

As for the guitar - I recorded that with my DRRI maybe a foot away with a fathead ribbon. It sounds like its got way too much low mid and not enough air now that I listen...

What are your guys tips for changing some of this up?

What do you think of the other two demos?

I like to close mic cabs with 57s, but the fat head seems to do better with some space maybe 18-24in.

This helps guitars sit in the mix too because it takes in some of the room.

Thanks very much - thats true - the fathead really saturates the mix...

Your name is Aaron? Me too... I also dig your sig... :P

Heres what my TV room sounds like... not terrible - if youre going for that room jazz thing... what do you all think?

Listen here

Back