Help with equipment info?

Mikey likes it!

I have been craving pure analog equipment for my home studio for ages now, but I have only recently settled on what I want:

Universal Audio 10-channel tube console;
Scully 1" 8-track for recording;
Scully 2-track for mixdown.

What I would like to know is:

1. What are the average prices for these pieces, in good working order?

2. How easy are they to find? Will I have to search high and low? Or will one turn up at the Salvation Army?

3. If I can't get these, what equipment is similar?

I would appreciate any help. :)

Last edited:
Mikey likes it! said:
Dumb question, right? :(

Yeah...kinda :D heh heh, lol :D
Meaning the question is not exactly about home-recording gear and not exactly 21st century gear ;) ....so rare stuff - rare brain around to help'Ya out.
I personally have no slight idea :p Maybe couple guys here know somethin' bout these machines (at least from reading stuff about them ;))
Was trying to find any 'blah' on the net... kinda not much talking about Scully(s) going on out there ...huh. I've found THIS ...there are couple posts there. Maybe you try to post there... if nobody here can drop a thought or two....

Good luck.
One thing I sort of know, thou .... it ain't gonna be a cheap 'hobby' - to find, get and keep 'em running ;)

/respects

If anyone is hell-bent on a 1" machine, you could always convert a machine intended for a different gauge.

I have found a complete 1" headblock on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-1-8-...801912113QQcategoryZ39998QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

..but the seller doesn't say what machine it is actually for. This may or may not be a problem ;-)

I've only just noticed that the heads are the wrong way round. Either the picture is flipped, or the block is upside-down I would guess. Or it's been dismantled and reassembled incorrectly..

That ebay pic is definitely reversed or mirror imaged.

As to what machine they were for, the seller never really says and does allude to some pretty nasty wiring repair job so, I wouldn't even touch this auction if I was any of you unless you recognize them categorically and need them for a specific project.

Keep in mind too that this alone won't convert a machine. You also need a larger pinch roller, larger capstan, tensioner arm assemblies and tach roller.

Bottom line; good bloody luck. :rolleyes:

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
Keep in mind too that this alone won't convert a machine. You also need a larger pinch roller, larger capstan, tensioner arm assemblies and tach roller.

Depends which way you're going. You might be able to rig a Tascam 38 into doing this but I imagine the extra stress on the motors wouldn't be too good for it. You should be able to get 1" tape guides etc for it using MSR-24 parts.
(Or you could convert an MSR-24 to 8-tracks).

More likely you'd be converting an MS-16 (which is already 1") or a 2" machine.

I agree that it's probably not a good idea and that this block is cheap for a reason. But if you're happy to pay for keeping a machine in 1" tape, you may also be crazy enough to try something like this. ;-)

jpmorris said:
Depends which way you're going. You might be able to rig a Tascam 38 into doing this but I imagine the extra stress on the motors wouldn't be too good for it. You should be able to get 1" tape guides etc for it using MSR-24 parts.
(Or you could convert an MSR-24 to 8-tracks).

More likely you'd be converting an MS-16 (which is already 1") or a 2" machine.

I agree that it's probably not a good idea and that this block is cheap for a reason. But if you're happy to pay for keeping a machine in 1" tape, you may also be crazy enough to try something like this. ;-)
Good points!

Although, you won't catch me butchering my MS-16 to do that. I like having 16 fat tracks and don't really need to reduce that to 8 obese ones. :D

Cheers! :)

Back