Help with Drum VSTi

coopkenta

Ok...I'm completely new to MIDI. I didn't even start (trying to) using until about a week ago. I've learned a lot in the past few days, but I'm stuck on one thing...

I downloaded a free Virtual Drum vsti called "Wollo beat". My question is...what am I supposed to do to get it to "play"? Do I need some sort of external sequencer or something to create the drum patterns? I want to be able to create a MIDI file that I can put into Reaper that will basically tell my drum vsti what to do...but i don't really care if its midi or not...I just want my drums to "play"!

I'm stuck! Help!

Ok...I'm completely new to MIDI. I didn't even start (trying to) using until about a week ago. I've learned a lot in the past few days, but I'm stuck on one thing...

I downloaded a free Virtual Drum vsti called "Wollo beat". My question is...what am I supposed to do to get it to "play"? Do I need some sort of external sequencer or something to create the drum patterns? I want to be able to create a MIDI file that I can put into Reaper that will basically tell my drum vsti what to do...but i don't really care if its midi or not...I just want my drums to "play"!

I'm stuck! Help!

You need to get into Reaper first.

1 You need to make sure that Reaper knows that the vsti is available. Do this by going Options>Preferences>Plugins>VST then hit "rescan directory"

2 You need a track to carry your midi information. Go Insert>new midi item

3 You need this track to make use of the vsti. On the track header, click on the "show track FX window". This will bring up a list of all the available plugins. Click on 'vsti". Your drum vsti should appear.

4 At this point you can load a kit or samples into the vsti. Close these windows and get back to the main Reaper screen. The FX button will be highlighted.

5 Double-click on the "untitled midi event". This brings up a midi editor. Here you add notes to get the various samples to make their sound.

6 That should get you started.

Last edited:
Check the Wollo install directory (Mayke something like: C:\ProgFiles\Wollo) and see if there is a PDF or other document called "keymap" or something of the sort. I didn't find it on his website...but most drum plugins worth their salt should have a document telling you what drum sound is mapped to what key on the keyboard. (At least the default mapping)

If not, you might just have to hit all the keys on your MIDI device to learn by trial and error. Keep in mind that the drums could spread across many octaves, if you arent using a full sized MIDI keyboard (or fingerpad).

Back