Help with De-Ess and Pro Vocal...

BookSix

I am trying some new units out for vocal processing. I used an Antares AVP-1 for a few days which was very easy to use but sounds came through a bit weaker than when they went in. So now I have a DBX pro vocal unit which is more confusing. The first thing I can't figure out is: I send my signal from my 2480 to the unit and when it come back, it sounds like it has a slight digital distortion to it, even with everything bypassed. Input levels on the dbx and my console are in range. Could this be a side affect of using unbalanced patch cables? Or is this unit just junk? Whats going on? Is there any other De-Ess/vocal processing modules that anyone would suggest?

a few suggestions...

1. Make sure you aren't on a pre-amp model that has distortion.

2. Make sure you are running balanced connections throughout.

3. If you are going from balanced to unbalanced, make sure your ground integrity is uncompromised.

4. Make sure you do not have a ground loop.

5. Make sure you aren't overdriving the input, use that pad.

6. Make sure you don't have a frequency boosted too high in the parametric EQ.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
-Thomas Jefferson-

also...

If you are using the S/pdif output, make sure you are using 75 Ohm cable. If it does not say 75 Ohms on the cable, it probably isn't. Regular RCA cable may pass data, but you will get distortion, pops, clicks, and other hash.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
-Thomas Jefferson-

Back