Help with compressor in Cakewalk vox track

p1551p

I want to record vocals in Cakewalk Home Studio 2, using a rack mounted compressor and a small mixer.

http://www.behringer.com/UB802/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I am fairly positive my connections are good/the connections setup is right.

Here is the situation:
-Using a mic into the mixer; I am getting levels on the mixer, the compressor and in Cakewalk.
-Singing into mic, while adjusting "trim" in a Cakewalk track, I set a max level just below 0 db in the Cakewalk track meter.

-I have the compressor attack and release on auto.

-It seems to be compressing/limiting; when I sing, it won't go past 0db on the Cakewalk meter. (When I turn off the compressor, the levels drop drastically.)

-But, when I playback the track- the level shows lower in Cakewalk (i.e. -18 db when it was showing near 0db before that while singing/recording.)

I have already been informed to:
-To use the tape to control room/NOT the tape to mix button with the way I have everything set up.
-To have ALL of the volume sliders (in Cakewalk) all the way down, or else it will mix with the other sounds and defeat the purpose of getting the compressed audio.

I can see just having the voc track all the way down during recording - but when I put all of the sliders down; I don't hear ANY of the tracks.

How do I coordinate the trim in Cakewalk, the volume slider(s) in Cakewalk, with the mixer and compressor setting levels?

I just want to do vocals that will sound fairly clean/not distorted/not too low.

Isn't the ideal recording level just below 0db, but not too low?

I'm really racking my brain on this -help is needed and appreciated.

Back