HELP with basics of digital mixing

oment

Hey guys,

I recently bought a yamaha 01v96 digital mixer, and I am having a hard time understanding the basic concept of digital mixing. I have three modules, jv5080, triton rack and motif 8 as my master keyboard. I would like to be able to record audio tracks on my cubase sx with layla 24/96 audio interface.
Can someone plz tell me the very basic concept of digital audio mixing, channels, buses, aux etc and how I can record audio into cubase.

thanks,

Oment

The basic idea is to read the manual and hook yourself up. If you have any problems along the way, describe what the problem is and you surely will get help here. Take your time with it, Rome wasn't built in a day. :)

hmmm...

Basically what NYMS has stated is that you've asked a VERY large VERY broad question...

You have gear that can do the job...
But, each unit has it's excentricities (? Spelling)...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Can someone plz tell me the very basic concept of digital audio mixing, channels, buses, aux etc and how I can record audio into cubase.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well here's the low level Basic functionality:

Your synths plug into the channels on the mixer which takes the signals and 'mixes' them together

The busses will carry a 'selected' signal to the sequencing program to (cubase) to record that onto the harddisk... This can be either your synths / or a vocal "Bussed" through the system so you can hear all the instruments playing but only send the signals going through the 'bus' to the computer...

Aux's or Auxilliarys are sends that you send to outboard gear such as effects processors, reverbs etc. to affect the audio that is played... Most of the time this signal does not go through the bus because you want that signal clean as it goes into the computer so it can be cleanly effected later...

Basically your setup can look like this: (And this is REAL basic so edit anywhere you feel necessary)...

- Plug some of the inputs of the Layla to the "busses" on the mixer...
- Plug your synths into the Mixer channels (make sure you can hear the synths through the mixer)...
- Plug the outputs of your Layla into the mixer channels as well...

In order to work with Cubase your keyboards will need the MIDI in and out ports plugged into the computer as well...This allows Cubase to trigger the keyboards without actually recording them initially...

This is the RAW BASIC layout...
Just like NYMS says, the manuals are going to have to be studied to get the details of how these units will work together... Frankly I don't have a digital mixer - there may be a direct input available to plug it into the computer negating the need for the Layla altogether...
But checking the manuals is the best way to understand what the capabilities of the units are... AND / FIDDLE!!! Plug something in WRONG! See what the hardware does and learn from it... Once you have the basics down for the things you want to know / Mixing editing and recording basics apply to practically every other piece of gear you'll buy...

Good Luck...

oment said:
Hey guys,

I recently bought a yamaha 01v96 digital mixer, and I am having a hard time understanding the basic concept of digital mixing. I have three modules, jv5080, triton rack and motif 8 as my master keyboard. I would like to be able to record audio tracks on my cubase sx with layla 24/96 audio interface.

thanks,

Oment

How's your experience with an analog desk? Concepts such as channel, buss, and aux are native to the analog world too, so if you understand that, it's just a matter of figuring how your board deals with them in terms of routing. I have a lot of time with the O2R and O2R96, so it may be similar to what you're using.

Back