Help with Akai GX-625

adamfarber

Hi all, I just acquired an Akai GX-625 from an estate. It looks to be in Excellent shape, unfortunately I do not have a manual or any reels here to test it but a simple question: I can not seem to press the PLAY or FF or STOP etc buttons in, is that normal with no reels/tape in the machine?

I am trying to figure out how to test some of the mechanics of the machine right now.

Thanks for any help.

Adam

Adam Farber
Cooper City,
cell: 954-494-3432
adamf@eeco.com

The simple answer is I don't know, and someone with specific knowledge of that machine might come along shortly,
but in the mean time you can probably test by gently lifting the two arms in the tape path, then pressing the buttons.

Each of those arms would be raised up when tape is threaded and usually that triggers microswitches which start the capstan motor, or whatever.

I suppose they could have used them to lock down the transport too.

WOW, what a guy-thanks, a SUPER fast answer and I now know that the buttons are fine!!

Last question, I notice the little spindle on the right spins all the time even if no buttons are pressed, perhaps it stops when I have some tape in? Any help there appreciated.

What a GREAT forum!

Adam

No problem. I got a little lucky there. ;)

Yes, that's right.
The tape is usually forced through by the capstan in the middle, rather than being pulled by the the take-up reel (right spindle).
The take-up reel always spins CCW but has very little torque.
You should find it's just enough to take up the excess tape but not enough to really pull on the reel or anything.

I think the supply reel (left spindle) does the same in reverse to stop the supply of tape from gushing out; Either than or it'll be under a little bit of brake tension.

Thank you AGAIN, you are a good egg!

OK then, I guess I will be selling it if anyone is interested, not sure of price but I can be contacted easily if needed.

Thanks again!

Adam

Adam Farber
Cooper City,
cell: 954-494-3432
adamf@eeco.com

No problem at all. Glad to help.
If you can get a reel of tape and prove that I/O, recording and playback work well you're much more likely to get a decent price for it.

We have a free ads section on the forum where you could list it for sale. Maybe someone would be kind enough to loan/sell you a tape?

Hi, I clicked on the link for CLASSIFIEDS but it is invalid, is there a classified or FOR sale section or a WANTED section I can post in? Thanks, Adam

Hi again,
I see you found the free ads section.

Thanks for pointing out the dead 'classifieds' link. I've notified admin. :)

Back