help, what next?

mousedadrummer

Junior Engineer
I have built up a simple collection of recording gear, now i need to know what to get next! Currently i'm using:

Alesis Multimix Firewire 8 interface
Shure Sm57 for snare and guitar
Rode Nt1 for vocals and guitar
Takstar PCM1600 pencil condensers for drum overheads
JTS bass drum mic

I have some money to buy some more stuff, but i need to know whats more important and if its worth the money! I have max £130 to spend on each item. Im thinking:

2 x Shure Sm57 for tom mics- A decent mic for toms which i can use for over things aswell, multipurpose, may use for live vocals.

AKG D112- Need a good bass drum mic

Preamp- Would i get anything good for £130? Im thinkin Presonus Bluetube??? any good??? Would it make much of a difference and be any better than the built in ones on my Multimix interface?

Also want to upgrade overheads to perhaps Rode NT5s? I think the bass mic and toms are more urgent so this has least prioirity.

So what do you think of my choices and whats more important to get first???

Btw, some of the recordings ive done with my current equipment can be heard at www.myspace.com/onlyofyouuk

Cheers

i say go ahead and buy the 57's and the d112
if you dont have that much money the preamp can wait and you can use the preamp thats built in
but having a decent preamp is always a plus
thats just my opinion
:)

yer, fanx, i fink ill get the 57s and d112 first den one good preamp dat can be used on vocals or guitar, if i do only get one preamp, wots the best thing on the drum kit to put through it? bass? snare? overhead?

cheerrs

yer, i wuld say bass n snare too, however ive read that people use their best pres on the overheads as they give the overall sound of the kit

Go to Harmony Central for reviews of the Blue tube - I have an older one & quite lke it BUT it is a trickster - the "tube" is used to dial "warmth" into the s/state preamp section.
I HATE 57's.

i personally like 57's ...just to rub it in i guess..:D
but yeah like i said some people might want different things in preamps...

I have a 57 & use it occasionally - I just don't like the sound it captures - It could be me using it poorly.
I also dislike its unbiquity - industry standard, must have, etc. I know it's a workhorse etc but poeple become fixated on such standards and don't experiment, develop own tastes etc. Get what you can afford & what sounds right to/for you. There are lots of good recordings out there that aren't predicated on a 57 - there are also absolute classics that are - but then again the same can be said for 4 track technology.

Back