Help w/new recording setup...too many options...

m98ter

My old recording setup has left me...Macbook and an Alesis multimix 12 firewire tracking into garageband (make fun if you like, but for what I do I really liked it's no frills easy approach), so I think it's time to dive into looking at something else that would give me at least similar quality. Here are my stats if you will.

-Probably have somewhere in the area of $2000 for interface/computer or standalone.

-I no longer own a computer, so if i go that route that will factor into the budget.

-I really liked the Mac and garageband, but i'm not totally hung up on using PC if i go the computer route.

-I have a standalone "pro-sumer" sony analog CD Burner for mixes.

-I'm also really into the idea of going with a standalone multitracker, but at the same time if I go this route, I really don't like the idea of doing time consuming editing on a 3 inch screen...unless it has the option of a monitor...so something that puts a lot of the control in knobs and faders is a plus.

-That being sad, I don't go too crazy into the editing side of things...I like to try and get things sounding as correct as possible from the start. Some eq, reverb, and a little compression here or there is about as crazy as i get.

-I plan on using the setup to mainly record home demo's of myself and band, but I would also like something that could travel and do live band recordings as well. So it needs at least 4 mic inputs, and maybe ideally 8. Phantom power on each channel would be nifty as well so I can mix and match the mics with dynamics. In line with that, I'd like something that can record at least 4 simultaneous channels, but again, I'm thinking for live recording I might end up wanting 8.

-I have never used Midi/Synths/Drum machines/ect. and probably never will. I record mainly acoustic instruments (guitar, mandolin, violin), but wouldn't mind doing some work with some "electric" bands in the area that also use drums (which is something I've never tackled).

-I'm not overly concerned with having the best possible audio quality known to man...my ears can't tell the difference between sample and bit rates and all the other jargon that I don't totally understand. I'd like it to sound good, but this is comming from a guy who started out on a Tascam Cassette portastudio.

All of that being said, I'll give you a rundown of where my heads been in thinking about the past few days before I decided I could probably never figure it out on my own. I initially started looked at standalone multitrackers because I don't have a computer, and I really liked the idea of Korg's D888. Has 8 mic inputs, phantom on each channel, knobs for eq. Then I read the reviews, and people say the mic pre's are basically worthless so I tacked on the price of some 8 channel pre, and decided it would probably be about as cheap to just go with Korg's larger model, but that sacrificed a lot of the control to that tiny little screen.

From there, I stumbled upon the Zoom's 16 channel board, and thought I had found exactly what I wanted (and still might). 8 xlr's, individual phantom power, the basic editing I do seemed like it would be easy enough to control. But, when looking over forums it seemed like a lot of people have experience with error messages, dead on arrival units, and my recording buddy has told me their basically a good songwriting tool but not to be taken too seriously. I'm still thinking the quality might be good enough for me though, in a package that's only $600 right now from sweetwater which saves extra cash for some more mics and such.

Then I delved into setups like my old one, and figured I could pick up a mac for $1200 or so, and find an interface to go with it...or PC. I really think that my ideal setup for computer recording would be an apogee ensemble and a macbook (although I'd have to go macbook pro because mac has left the firewire port off of their new macbooks), but that's a little out of my budget. So I wouldn't be against something similar in a PC setup. I really like the look of alesis's new IO 26 interface...seems like it would be pretty nifty...then from that I stumbled upon to Tascam's FW1082 and it also looked pretty sweet. Then I saw Digidesigns pro tools rack for like $1200 and figured I might be able to get a laptop for another $800...I've never touched pro-tools, but I'm not against it. And this was around the time that I got totally lost. Any advice or direction anyone could steer me would be awesome, and I am sorry for the novel of a post. I just figured it would help to have all the details, and what I would be using it for. Thanks.

Will

..by the way, $2000 is my inflated and save up for it budget. If I could accomplish 8 track simultaneous recording live and at home with very basic editing and "decent" sound for $700 bucks I'd be a very happy boy. I think I may have over stated my intended use for the unit...really, I'd just like something that I can use to record home demo's and record bands live. That being said, the korg D888 looks like it might be the best option considering that it also has 8 outs that the bands can use to run to their own live sound rig while I'm recording. Grab a mic pre and it might work out just fine. The Korg D888 and and Zoom HD16CD look better and better, but I think I just keep confusing myself more....

Last edited:
recommendations

i would not suggest pro-tools (from experience)

i have tried many programs, and used 5 for a good period of time and i would recommend using Reaper.

the motu 8pre is a good interface priced nicely. (just get the updated drivers, but that's true for anything).
my favorite interface was my old Q-10, but they are long gone.

with reaper just about any PC would work so long as you follow the specs on there website.

i don't use the pres on the motu so i cant comment on them, but everything else great.

-mike-

I was a huge fan of Boss BR 1600CD. It's eight MIC PRES with phantom power. The EQ is not the best (3 Band) but it uses faders and knobs a lot. I got some decent results with it. It's got a built in drum machine if you want to go that route later. It runs about 1200 so if you don't like the pres you could invest in some new ones. It also has the ability to hook to a computer if you want later. So it's got a lot of features. The link is below.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-BR1600CD-Multitrack-Digital-Recorder?sku=241064

I would go for a PC/interface setup. I put together a decent PC setup for the poster in this thread for right around $700.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=277863

Granted keyboard, monitor(s) etc. were left out but you could still piece a computer together for half your budget. Throw in another $500 for a 8pre or something along those lines and your only $1500 in roughly.

Back