help understanding digital bus and channels

oment

hey guys,

I am new at digital mixing. I have a yamaha 01v/96 digital mixing board, a layla 24/96 sound card, jv5080 and tritton rack modules and a midisport 8x8 midi interface. I am running cubase sx 3 on a pc.
can someone plz explain the basic concept of digital mixing, like the difference between channels and bus.

thanks,
Oment

well, a channel makes up the entire path your audio takes inside the hardware or software system. The inputs and outputs on a hardware unit are set to individual channels. For example you can plug a microphone into "channel 1" on your digital mixer...so this can tell you that that has to do with channel one in the mixer (including the fader labeled channel 1) controls the audio that you plugged into it.
A bus is just a pathway to and from somewhere. On a digital mixer a bus may sometimes be given it's own fader control...so that it looks just like any other channel. However, the difference is there is no physical input to the bus like there is an audio channel (you can't plug a microphone into a bus). So in the digital mixer you could route audio channels 1-4 to bus 1....now all of those audio channels are on the bus channel. The great thing about this is you have one fader to control those 4 channels and you can also send those channels OUT of the mixer to somewhere like your sound card.

Hope that makes sense. Read your manuals for more explanations on digital mixing...that's what they're there for.

thank you bennychico11. that really helped.
So how do i configure my sequencer's audio tracks to coresponde with my mixing board?
thanks,
oment

well, I'm not familiar with your units so I can't give you specifics.
But typically you would send whatever channel 1 is on the mixer, through input 1 on the soundcard and record to track 1 in your sequencer. This keeps things simple and logical. How you go about doing that depends on what kind of and how many inputs you have on each unit...and how you prefer to set things up (everyone does it differently).

Back